Chatwood shines as Rockies beat BrewersJul 27, 2013 - 5:32 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Tyler Chatwood had a career-high 11 strikeouts over seven innings and added a two-run double to lead the Colorado Rockies to an 8-3 win over the Milwaukee Brewers in the opener of a three-game set at Coors Field.
Chatwood (7-3) allowed six hits and a pair of runs. The right-hander has yielded more than two runs only twice in his 14 starts this season.
"His curveball was really sharp," Rockies manager Walt Weiss said. "His fastball was explosive and down. He has the slider he has a lot of confidence in now. He was really good."
DJ LeMahieu knocked in two runs for the Rockies, who scored four times in both the second and fourth innings to even their homestand after eight games. Colorado has won nine of the last 11 versus Milwaukee.
Wily Peralta (7-10) surrendered seven hits and eight runs -- five earned -- over 3 2/3 innings to suffer his first loss this month. In four previous starts this month, the righty was 2-0 with a 0.31 ERA.
"He wasn't on his game. His command was off today," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said.
Carlos Gomez homered for Milwaukee, which lost for the fourth time in five games.
The Rockies loaded the bases with nobody out in the second before Brewers shortstop Jean Segura made a spectacular play to save a run. He raced toward the left-field line to make a diving catch of a pop-up from Charlie Blackmon.
Nolan Arenado then singled on a ball that caromed off the glove of first baseman Juan Francisco, who was ranging to the hole. Chatwood then bounced a hit down the left-field line. Dexter Fowler was hit by a pitch, and then LeMahieu beat out a potential double-play ball up the middle for a 4-0 margin.
A missed catch error by Yuniesky Betancourt allowed Blackmon to score in the fourth. Troy Tulowitzki singled in a run, on the play Fowler was thrown out at home. Michael Cuddyer and Todd Helton added RBI base hits.
Norichika Aoki had an RBI single during a two-run sixth, and Gomez's homer to left came off Manny Corpas in the ninth.
The Rockies placed pitcher Drew Pomeranz on the 15-day disabled list with left bicep tendinitis. They also recalled outfielder Corey Dickerson from Triple-A Colorado Springs ... Gomez's HR was the 100th this season for the Brewers.
- MILWAUKEE: 3
Jul 26 11:23 PM
- Carlos Gomez lead-off Home Run (17) to left. Logan Schafer due up.
Brewers 3, Rockies 8 Top 9, 0 OutsJul 26 11:19 PM
- Logan Schafer ground ball fielder's choice, second to short scored Norichika Aoki with two outs. Jean Segura out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Martin Maldonado due up.
Brewers 2, Rockies 8 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 26 10:39 PM
- Norichika Aoki single to left scored Rickie Weeks with none out. Runner on first and Jean Segura due up.
Brewers 1, Rockies 8 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 26 10:35 PM
- Todd Helton single to center scored Troy Tulowitzki with two outs. On the play, Michael Cuddyer advances to third. Runners on first and third and Wilin Rosario due up.
Brewers 0, Rockies 8 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 26 10:15 PM
- Michael Cuddyer single to short scored DJ LeMahieu with two outs. On the play, Troy Tulowitzki advances to second. Runners on first and second and Todd Helton due up.
Brewers 0, Rockies 7 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 26 10:14 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki single to center scored Nolan Arenado with one out. On the play, DJ LeMahieu advances to third and Dexter Fowler out at home. Runners on first and third with two outs and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Brewers 0, Rockies 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 26 10:08 PM
- DJ LeMahieu single to short scored Charlie Blackmon with one out. On the play, Dexter Fowler advances to second and Nolan Arenado advances to third. Bases loaded and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Brewers 0, Rockies 5 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 26 10:06 PM
- DJ LeMahieu ground ball fielder's choice, short to second scored Nolan Arenado with two outs. Dexter Fowler out at second Tyler Chatwood advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Brewers 0, Rockies 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 26 9:30 PM
- Tyler Chatwood double to left scored Todd Helton and Wilin Rosario with one out. On the play, Nolan Arenado advances to third. Runners on second and third and Dexter Fowler due up.
Brewers 0, Rockies 3 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 26 9:27 PM
- Nolan Arenado single to second scored Michael Cuddyer with one out. On the play, Wilin Rosario advances to second and Todd Helton advances to third. Bases loaded and Tyler Chatwood due up.
Brewers 0, Rockies 1 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 26 9:26 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 26 8:42 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21