Padres pound D'backsJul 28, 2013 - 4:12 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Yonder Alonso had three hits while driving in four runs to help the San Diego Padres cruise to a 12-3 win over the Arizona Diamondbacks at Chase Field.
Chris Denorfia had a two-run blast and scored three times while Carlos Quentin drove in two runs. Chase Headley and Andrew Cashner each connected on solo shots for the Padres, who have won four of their last six games.
Cashner (7-5) allowed three runs on four hits and five walks while fanning five in six innings. All three runs came off home runs, which snapped Cashner's steak at 49 2/3 innings without allowing a home run. It was the longest current streak in the majors among starters.
Tyler Skaggs (2-3) was tagged for seven runs on just three hits and five walks over 3 2/3 innings, his shortest outing of the year.
"For whatever reason he had no command of his fastball," said D'backs manager Kirk Gibson about Skaggs. "It seems like his velocity goes down as the game goes on."
Paul Goldschmidt slammed a two-run homer, his 23rd of the year, and Miguel Montero had a solo home run for the D'backs, who had a two-game winning streak snapped.
Quentin's two-out double got the Padres on the board in the first, scoring Denorfia from first, who worked a walk to get on base.
Montero, who missed the last three games with a stiff back, crushed the first pitch he saw to left-center to tie the game at 1-1 in the second.
After recording the first two outs of the third with ease, Skaggs ran into some trouble after that. Over his next 14 pitches he walked three batters and hit one with a pitch, forcing in a run on a Jesus Guzman free pass. Alonso cleared the bases with a double down the right-field line to make it 5-1 Padres.
Denorfia blasted a two-out, two-run homer in the fourth to give San Diego a six-run cushion and chase Skaggs from the mound. Headley welcomed Tony Sipp to the game by crushing his first pitch deep to left field.
Goldschmidt stroked a two-run shot in the fifth to left-center field. Gerardo Parra worked a two-out walk to reach base.
Cashner hit his first career home run in the sixth with a solo shot to left to make it 9-3 Padres.
The Padres tacked on three more in the ninth off David Hernandez with RBI singles from Quentin and Alonso. The final run was scored on a wild pitch.
"We had good at-bats all the way through the game," Padres manager Bud Black said.
Arizona second baseman Aaron Hill was out of the lineup with right hamstring tightness ... Skaggs was optioned to Triple-A Reno after the game ... Cashner's home run was the third this season by a Padres pitcher ... Headley has reached base in 21 consecutive games ... San Diego went 4-for-10 with runners in scoring position, while Arizona finished 0-for-6 ... The Padres are 7-4 against Arizona this season ... Patrick Corbin takes the mound on Sunday for the D'backs to face Padres righty Tyson Ross in the series finale.
- SAN DIEGO: 12
Jul 27 11:27 PM
- Nick Hundley struck out, but advances to first on a wild pitch scored Alexi Amarista with two outs. On the play, Yonder Alonso advances to third. Runners on first and third and Will Venable due up.
Padres 12, Diamondbacks 3 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 27 11:12 PM
- Yonder Alonso single to right scored Carlos Quentin with one out. On the play, Alexi Amarista advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jedd Gyorko due up.
Padres 11, Diamondbacks 3 Top 9, 1 OutJul 27 11:07 PM
- Carlos Quentin single to center scored Chase Headley with one out. Runner on first and Tim Stauffer due up.
Padres 10, Diamondbacks 3 Top 9, 1 OutJul 27 11:02 PM
- Andrew Cashner one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Everth Cabrera due up.
Padres 9, Diamondbacks 3 Top 6, 1 OutJul 27 10:03 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt two-out, two-run Home Run (23) to left center scored Gerardo Parra. Eric Chavez due up.
Padres 8, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 27 9:56 PM
- Chase Headley two-out, solo Home Run (8) to left. Carlos Quentin due up.
Padres 8, Diamondbacks 1 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 27 9:26 PM
- Chris Denorfia two-out, two-run Home Run (8) to left scored Everth Cabrera. Chase Headley due up.
Padres 7, Diamondbacks 1 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 27 9:23 PM
- Yonder Alonso double to right scored Chase Headley, Carlos Quentin and Jesus Guzman with two outs. Runner on second and Jedd Gyorko due up.
Padres 5, Diamondbacks 1 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 27 9:04 PM
- Jesus Guzman walk scored Chris Denorfia with two outs. Bases loaded and Yonder Alonso due up.
Padres 2, Diamondbacks 1 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 27 9:02 PM
- Miguel Montero one-out, solo Home Run (9) to left center. Didi Gregorius due up.
Padres 1, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 27 8:42 PM
- Carlos Quentin double to center scored Chris Denorfia with two outs. Runner on second and Jesus Guzman due up.
Padres 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 27 8:18 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 27 8:11 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21