Kipnis lifts Tribe past FishAug 4, 2013 - 4:35 AM Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Jason Kipnis' two-run single in the seventh inning lifted the Cleveland Indians to a 4-3 win over the Miami Marlins on Saturday.
With the bases loaded and one out, Kipnis laced a 2-2 slider to center field. Drew Stubbs scored easily on the play, but center fielder Jake Marisnick fired a bullet to the plate as Michael Bourn slid home. The throw beat Bourn, but Rob Brantly was unable to block the plate and Bourn slid across safely.
Kipnis finished the game 3-for-4 with three RBI and Bourn added two hits, three runs scored and three stolen for the Indians, who have won nine of their last 10 games.
"When I can run it is always good and always does good for the offense. It can help us win a game," said Bourn.
Cody Allen (5-1) threw 1 2/3 scoreless innings to pick up the win. Chris Perez allowed a run in the ninth, but stranded a pair of runners in scoring position to nail down his 16th save of the season.
Cleveland starter Zach McAllister allowed two runs on three hits while striking out seven over 5 1/3 innings.
Christian Yelich, Ed Lucas and Greg Dobbs each had one RBI for the Marlins, who had a three-game winning streak snapped.
Dan Jennings (1-2) was charged with the loss after giving up the go-ahead single in the seventh. Starter Jacob Turner allowed two runs on six hits while striking out six over six innings.
Logan Morrison led off the ninth with a double then scored on Dobbs' pinch-hit single to right. Adieny Hechavarria then beat out a sacrifice bunt before Marisnick moved the runners into scoring position.
Brantly ripped a grounder right to Nick Swisher at first for the second out of the frame. Placido Polanco followed with a line drive to center, but it was hit right at Bourn to end the game.
The Indians took a 1-0 lead in the first inning. Bourn singled, stole second, then moved to third on Swisher's ground out. Kipnis followed with a base hit to right to push Bourn across.
Cleveland scored another run in the third to make it 2-0. Bourn opened the frame with a single, stole second then moved to third on a wild pitch. Marlins' catcher Brantly tried to catch Bourn at third, but his throw was off target and skipped into left field allowing him to score easily.
The Tribe looked to add to their lead in the fifth. Kipnis reached on a one- out single. Asdrubal Cabrera then lifted a fly ball to shallow center field. Marisnick made a diving attempt, but could not come up with the catch and the ball rolled into right field. Marisnick quickly retrieved the ball and delivered a strike to the plate that caught Kipnis as he was diving for home for the final out of the inning.
Miami finally managed to get a hit off McAllister in the sixth, then quickly tied the game. Brantly broke up the no-hit bid with a base hit to center before coming around on Yelich's double to center. Lucas followed with a single to left-center that scored Yelich without a throw to tie the game.
The Marlins loaded the bases with two outs later in the frame, but Hechavarria lined out to center to end the threat.
"We had a few close calls tonight. I couldn't tell if they were right or wrong, I just know they didn't go our way," said Marlins manager Mike Redmond.
The Indians stole seven bases as a team (Bourn 3, Stubbs 2, Mike Aviles 1) ... Cleveland was just 2-for-10 with runners in scoring position ... Turner threw two wild pitches ... Miami had two consecutive shutouts entering the contest ... Game time: 3:19.
- CLEVELAND: 4
Aug 3 10:30 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Greg Dobbs single to right scored Logan Morrison with none out. Runner on first and Adeiny Hechavarria due up.
Indians 4, Marlins 3 Bot 9, 0 OutsAug 3 10:24 PM
- Jason Kipnis single to center scored Drew Stubbs and Michael Bourn with one out. On the play, Nick Swisher advances to second. Runners on first and second and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Indians 4, Marlins 2 Top 7, 1 OutAug 3 9:30 PM
- Ed Lucas single to left scored Christian Yelich with one out. Runner on first and Giancarlo Stanton due up.
Indians 2, Marlins 2 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 3 8:59 PM
- Christian Yelich double to center scored Rob Brantly with one out. Runner on second and Ed Lucas due up.
Indians 2, Marlins 1 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 3 8:56 PM
- Michael Bourn advances to third on a wild pitch by Jacob Turner. On the play Michael Bourn scored on Rob Brantly's throwing error with one out. None on and Jason Kipnis at the plate.
Indians 2, Marlins 0 Top 3, 1 OutAug 3 7:57 PM
- Jason Kipnis single to right scored Michael Bourn with one out. Runner on first and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Indians 1, Marlins 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 3 7:17 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 3 7:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21