Francouer helps Giants get by BrewersAug 6, 2013 - 5:38 AM San Francisco, CA (Sports Network) - Jeff Francoeur's pinch-hit RBI single in the eighth inning lifted the San Francisco Giants to a 4-2 win over the Milwaukee Brewers on Monday.
Hunter Pence drew a leadoff walk then stole second base. Brewers reliever John Axford (5-5) then looked to intentionally walk Pablo Sandoval, but threw the ball over catcher Jonathan Lucroy's head and off the backstop, allowing Pence to take third.
Axford eventually walked Sandoval before he was replaced by Michael Gonzalez, who issued a free pass to Brandon Belt to load the bases. Francoeur followed with a grounder through the hole on the left side to score Pence.
After Gregor Blanco popped out to the catcher, Joaquin Arias laced a grounder down the line. Third baseman Jeff Bianchi was unable to handle the hard-hit grounder and it skipped into left field, allowing Sandoval and Belt to come around for a 4-2 lead.
Juan Francisco clobbered a solo homer with one out in the ninth, but Sergio Romo retired the next two hitters to notch his 27th save of the season.
Santiago Casilla (5-2) earned the win with a scoreless eighth inning. Starter Chad Gaudin allowed just on run on four hits while striking out eight over 6 1/3 innings.
Francisco finished the game 2-for-3 with two RBI for the Brewers.
The Giants got on the board in the fourth inning thanks to Francisco's throwing error. With runners on first and second and no outs, Blanco ripped a grounder to Francisco, whose throw to second for a potential double-play skipped bast shortstop Jean Segura and into left field, allowing Belt to score.
The Brewers tied the game in the seventh inning. Lucroy opened the inning with a double and Caleb Gindl walked to put runners at first and second. Francisco followed with a ground-rule double to right-center to score Lucroy.
San Francisco went a dismal 1-for-13 with runners in scoring position ... Francoeur had the only RBI for the Giants ... Pence, who walked three times on Monday, walked just three times in all of July ... Milwaukee starter Tyler Thornburg gave up one unearned run on seven hits over six innings.
- MILWAUKEE: 2
SAN FRANCISCO: 4
Aug 6 1:19 AM
- Juan Francisco one-out, solo Home Run (15) to left center. Jeff Bianchi due up.
Brewers 2, Giants 4 Top 9, 1 OutAug 6 1:14 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Joaquin Arias reached first on Jeff Bianchi's fielding error scored Pablo Sandoval and Brandon Belt. On the play, Jeff Francoeur advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Marco Scutaro due up.
Brewers 1, Giants 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 6 1:05 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Jeff Francoeur singled to left scored Hunter Pence. On the play, Brandon Belt advances to second and Pablo Sandoval advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Gregor Blanco due up.
Brewers 1, Giants 2 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 6 1:01 AM
- Juan Francisco ground-rule double to right center scored Jonathan Lucroy. On the play, Caleb Gindl advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Jeff Bianchi due up.
Brewers 1, Giants 1 Top 7, 1 OutAug 6 12:18 AM
- Gregor Blanco reached first on Juan Francisco's throwing error scored Brandon Belt. On the play, Roger Kieschnick advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Chad Gaudin due up.
Brewers 0, Giants 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 5 11:32 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 5 10:16 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21