Jones contributes four hits in win over PadresAug 7, 2013 - 6:53 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Adam Jones went a perfect 4-for-4 at the plate and Bud Norris twirled six innings of one-run ball as the Baltimore Orioles outlasted the San Diego Padres, 4-1, on Tuesday at Petco Park.
Jones had a hand in most of Baltimore's offense, clubbing a homer, knocking in two runs and scoring twice as the Orioles took the first of this two-game set. Chris Davis went 2-for-4 with an RBI double in the victory.
Norris (8-9) made his second start with the Orioles after coming over from the Astros and allowed just five hits while walking two. Jim Johnson notched his 39th save with a scoreless ninth.
"I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing, which is trying to throw strikes and let the guys play defense," said Norris.
The Padres had won six of eight coming in, but played their first game without leadoff hitter Everth Cabrera, who was one of 13 players suspended on Monday for his involvement with the now-defunct Biogenesis clinic.
Edinson Volquez (8-9) struck out six in six frames and was a hard luck loser, yielding two runs on six hits. The Padres had won in his previous three starts.
"Our situational hitting was not good tonight and we need to be better at it, there's no doubt about it," said Padres manager Bud Black.
San Diego was 1-for-12 with runners in scoring position on the evening.
Jones put the Orioles on the board in the first with a two-out single that scored Nate McClouth, who doubled to start the game. Baltimore then went ahead 2-0 when Jones began the fourth with his 23rd home run of the season.
Norris had faced 13 batters in a row without giving up a hit leading up to the sixth, but the Padres produced three consecutive singles to start the frame, with Yonder Alonso's grounder through the right side cutting the deficit to 2-1.
San Diego failed to tack on more in the inning, however, as Norris retired the next three batters in order.
Jones and Davis helped cushion the Orioles' lead in the seventh, with Jones keeping the inning alive with a two-out single and then coming around to score on a double from Davis.
Baltimore added another insurance run in the ninth on Manny Machado's two-out RBI single to score Brian Roberts and make it 4-1. Johnson secured the victory when Nick Hundley grounded into a game-ending double play.
The Orioles reinstated infielder Roberts from the paternity leave list on Tuesday and optioned infielder Danny Valencia to Triple-A Norfolk ... The Padres selected the contract of infielder Ronny Cedeno from Single-A Lake Elsinore.
- BALTIMORE: 4
SAN DIEGO: 1
Aug 7 1:13 AM
- Manny Machado single to right scored Brian Roberts with two out. On the play, Alexi Casilla advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Nick Markakis due up.
Orioles 4, Padres 1 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 7 1:04 AM
- Chris Davis double to right scored Adam Jones with two out. Runner on second and Matt Wieters due up.
Orioles 3, Padres 1 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 7 12:39 AM
- Yonder Alonso single to right scored Chris Denorfia with none out. On the play, Chase Headley advanced to second. Runners on first and second with and Jedd Gyorko due up.
Orioles 2, Padres 1 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 7 12:10 AM
- Adam Jones lead-off Home Run (23) to left. Chris Davis due up.
Orioles 2, Padres 0 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 6 11:18 PM
- Adam Jones single to center scored Nate McLouth with two out. Runner on first and Chris Davis due up.
Orioles 1, Padres 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 6 10:22 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 6 10:11 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22