Orioles use late burst of runs to subdue PadresAug 8, 2013 - 2:39 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Chris Davis slammed the tie-breaking three- run homer in the eighth inning, and Baltimore went on to whip San Diego, 10- 3, in the back end of a two-game interleague set.
"It was loud," said Orioles manager Buck Showalter of the blast estimated to have traveled 453 feet. "The thing about Chris is he's so lethal. He may have some bad at-bats, but he's never more than a swing away from really doing something good."
J.J. Hardy homered among his two hits and also drove in three for the Orioles, who swept the brief series and has won four of six overall.
Adam Jones collected three hits and scored twice, while Manny Machado had a pair of hits and crossed home twice as Baltimore scored seven times in the final two frames.
"We want wins. How we get them doesn't matter, who does the job, as long as we get the job done," Jones said.
Francisco Rodriguez (1-0) tossed a scoreless seventh for the win. Starter Miguel Gonzalez allowed three runs and six hits with eight strikeouts over six innings.
Jedd Gyorko's three-run shot in the sixth was all the offense for the Padres, who have dropped four of their last six.
Luke Gregerson (5-6) was charged with two runs on two hits while not recording an out in the eighth. Eric Stults had worked the previous seven frames, giving up five hits and two earned runs while fanning six.
Gregerson took over for Stults but allowed singles to Machado and Jones before Colt Hynes came in. He promptly served up Davis' go-ahead three run shot for a 6-3 Orioles advantage.
"It was a typical left-on-left situation where you're trying to throw your best pitch. Hynes left it out over the plate, and Davis is a big, strong guy," noted Padres catcher Rene Rivera.
Matt Wieters doubled, which brought on Dale Thayer, and he fanned Hardy but allowed a single to Nate McLouth and a Brian Roberts sacrifice fly which boosted Baltimore's edge to four.
The O's plated three more in the ninth to cap the rout, with Wieters posting an RBI groundout and Hardy adding a two-run single.
Hardy's two-out solo shot in the second gave Baltimore the lead, then the visitors went up 2-0 in the fourth after Machado reached on a Gyorko error and scored when Jones followed with a single which was compounded by an Alexi Amarista throwing gaffe.
The O's tacked on another in the fifth on Machado's one-out RBI single to score Steve Pearce, who led off the frame with a double, but Gyorko atoned for his earlier mistake by launching a three-run shot in the home sixth.
Chris Denorfia drew a walk and Yonder Alonso was also aboard when the ball left the yard to left center.
The Orioles evened up the season series at two wins apiece, and lead the all- time series with San Diego 7-6 ... Baltimore improved its 2013 mark to 19-20 in day games, and moved to 14-8 in day games on the road ... Davis' blast was his 41st of the season, moving him within two of Rafael Palmeiro's 43-homer season in 1998 which ranks fourth on the franchise single-season list ... Brady Anderson's 50 homers in 1996 stands as the Orioles record ... San Diego's record against the American League fell to 8-12, and 5-5 at home this year.
- BALTIMORE: 10
SAN DIEGO: 3
Aug 7 6:40 PM
- J.J. Hardy singled to right scored Adam Jones and Chris Davis. Runner on first with two outs and Nate McLouth due up.
Orioles 10, Padres 3 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 7 6:28 PM
- Matt Wieters grounded out to first scored Nick Markakis. On the play, Chris Davis advances to second and Adam Jones advances to third. Runners on second and third and with two outs and J.J. Hardy due up.
Orioles 8, Padres 3 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 7 6:26 PM
- Brian Roberts sacrifice fly out to center scored Matt Wieters. Runner on first with two outs and Francisco Rodriguez due up.
Orioles 7, Padres 3 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 7 6:01 PM
- Chris Davis none-out, three-run Home Run (41) to right center scored Manny Machado and Adam Jones. Matt Wieters due up.
Orioles 6, Padres 3 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 7 5:50 PM
- Jedd Gyorko one-out, three-run Home Run (10) to center scored Chris Denorfia and Yonder Alonso. Alexi Amarista due up.
Orioles 3, Padres 3 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 7 5:25 PM
- Manny Machado singled to left scored Steve Pearce. On the play, Miguel Gonzalez advances to second and Brian Roberts advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Adam Jones due up.
Orioles 3, Padres 0 Top 5, 1 OutAug 7 4:57 PM
- Adam Jones singled to center. On the play, Alexi Amarista's throwing error scored Manny Machado. Runner on third with none out and Chris Davis due up.
Orioles 2, Padres 0 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 7 4:38 PM
- J.J. Hardy two-out, solo Home Run (19) to left. Steve Pearce due up.
Orioles 1, Padres 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 7 4:07 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 7 3:42 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22