LaRoche HR helps Nats take down GiantsAug 14, 2013 - 6:06 AM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Adam LaRoche's tie-breaking, two-run home run in the sixth inning helped lift the Washington Nationals to a 4-2 win over the San Francisco Giants in the opener of a three-game set at Nationals Park.
LaRoche ended 2-for-4 and Ian Desmond had three hits and scored two runs for Washington, which has won four straight.
"I can't remember the last time when we put four wins together," said LaRoche. "It feels like it hasn't happened this year. We just have to build off of it and see where it takes us."
Joaquin Arias went 4-for-5 with two runs scored for the Giants, who have lost two straight and seven of their last 10.
"I have no complaints with his game because he did everything he could do," said Giants manager Bruce Bochy about Arias. "We need more people to step up and we need them to do it now."
With the game tied 1-1 in the sixth, LaRoche blasted his decisive homer into the seats in right. Desmond, who led off the inning with a single, scored ahead of LaRoche for the two-run cushion, 3-1.
Guillermo Moscoso (1-1) surrendered the blast and as a result suffered the loss. The reliever was charged with the two runs on two hits, with two walks and two strikeouts in two innings.
The Giants did get a run back in the seventh when Hunter Pence singled home Arias, but Washington countered in the eighth when Kurt Suzuki's sacrifice fly scored Jayson Werth.
Tanner Roark (2-0) got the win, tossing two innings of relief. He was charged with one unearned run on three hits.
Rafael Soriano worked the ninth for his 30th save of the season.
In a matchup that featured the two winningest left-handers the last two seasons on the hill, Mother Nature spoiled the fun. A one-hour, 17-minute rain delay prior to the start of the fifth inning forced both starters, Washington's Gio Gonzalez and San Francisco's Madison Bumgarner, from the game.
Gonzalez, who has 28 wins combined in the last two seasons, yielded just four hits, walked two and struck out a pair. He was nursing a back tightness all night.
Bumgarner, who has 27 wins in that span, was touched for one run on five hits, walking one and striking out four in four innings. He allowed his one run just prior to the delay, when Desmond scored from third after Wilson Ramos' grounder up the middle ricocheted off the hurler's leg and to Pablo Sandoval at third for the 1-5-3 ground out.
The Giants, though, got him off the hook when play resumed. With runners on the corners and two outs, Buster Posey's grounder up the middle went under the glove of Desmond at short for an error, allowing the tying run to score.
Giants first baseman Brandon Belt extended his hitting streak to eight-games, finishing 1-for-4 ... Posey's fourth-inning single ended an 0-for-13 slump for the SF catcher ... Ramos was pulled from the game after the delay because of an apparent hamstring injury ... Gonzalez remains winless since July 10 ... Washington starters have allowed just 16 earned runs in 61 1/3 innings this month ... Bumgarner has yielded just 15 earned runs in 75 innings over his last 11 starts ... Washington improved to 4-3 on a nine-game homestand ... This was the start of a six-game road trip for the Giants ... LaRoche has 17 HRs this season.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 2
Aug 13 11:43 PM
- Kurt Suzuki sacrifice fly out to right scored Jayson Werth with two out. On the play, Adam LaRoche advances to second. Runner on second and Scott Hairston due up.
Giants 2, Nationals 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 13 11:27 PM
- Hunter Pence single to center scored Joaquin Arias with two out. On the play, Buster Posey advances to second. Runners on first and second and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Giants 2, Nationals 3 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 13 10:51 PM
- Adam LaRoche none-out, two-run Home Run (17) to right scored Ian Desmond. Kurt Suzuki due up.
Giants 1, Nationals 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 13 10:30 PM
- Ian Desmond's fielding error scored Joaquin Arias with two out. Buster Posey reached first. On the play, Brandon Belt advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Hunter Pence due up.
Giants 1, Nationals 1 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 13 9:54 PM
- Wilson Ramos' ground out pitcher to third to first scored Ian Desmond with none out. On the play, Adam LaRoche advances to second. Runner on second and Scott Hairston due up.
Giants 0, Nationals 1 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 13 8:25 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 13 7:06 PM
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21