Goldschmidt homers twice, lifts D'backs in extrasAug 14, 2013 - 6:59 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Paul Goldschmidt was once again the hero Tuesday in yet another win for the Arizona Diamondbacks in their final at-bat.
One day after Adam Eaton hit a walk-off homer in the ninth inning, the D'backs stole a 4-3 victory away from the Baltimore Orioles after Goldschmidt homered in the ninth and again in the 11th.
Goldschmidt, who hit a walk-off homer against the Mets four days earlier, sent the game to extra innings with a solo blast off Jim Johnson, then took T.J. McFarland (1-1) over the right-field wall to cap another dramatic win, Arizona's 25th in its last at-bat and ninth of the walk-off variety.
Gerardo Parra went 2-for-4 with a solo homer in the win, which was credited to Heath Bell (3-1) for working a flawless 11th.
Chris Davis' two-run blast and J.J. Hardy's solo shot backed a solid start from Miguel Gonzalez, who allowed just two runs on five hits over seven innings but wound up with a no-decision.
Gonzalez was denied a win when Johnson, who had not allow a home run since May 20, served up a leadoff blast to left from Goldschmidt in the ninth.
"It's frustrating," said Johnson. "Looking at what the guys have been putting into the games and just the way the game unfolded, obviously it's heartbreaking."
The D'backs looked poised to end things later in the frame with runners on second and third and one out, but Johnson struck out Wil Nieves and retired Didi Gregorius on a groundout to send the game to extras.
Nevertheless, Baltimore fell for the third time in four games courtesy of another leadoff shot from Goldschmidt two innings later.
"It's very special what (Goldschmidt) can do. It's good to have him on your side," D'backs manager Kirk Gibson said.
Randall Delgado surrendered both Baltimore home runs, but otherwise gave up just three singles with one walk in his seven-inning start.
The walk came in the fourth to Nick Markakis, and Davis made the free pass sting when he sent an opposite-field shot over the right-field wall for his league-leading 44th round-tripper of the year. The slugger did not homer in 10 straight games after the All-Star break but has gone deep in seven of the 13 games since, including both contests in this interleague series.
Hardy has been hitting plenty out of the park recently as well, as he connected on his fourth in six games leading off the fifth.
Gonzalez cruised through the first six innings, setting down the first 11 hitters he saw while only facing one batter with a runner in scoring position.
That changed in the seventh when Aaron Hill legged out a triple with one out and scored on Martin Prado's groundout to short. Parra followed with a home run into the right-field seats to cut Arizona's deficit to 3-2.
Goldschmidt recorded his fourth career multi-home run games ... Davis has 112 RBI on the season ... Hardy is riding a 10-game hitting streak ... Baltimore fell to 14-20 in one-run games after recording an unprecedented 29-9 mark in such contests last year ... Johnson has blown two straight save chances and eight on the year ... The Orioles have never won a series against Arizona in five tries ... Arizona has won 11 of its last 12 interleague home games.
- BALTIMORE: 3
Aug 14 12:34 AM
- Paul Goldschmidt lead off Home Run 2 (29) to right to end the game.
Orioles 3, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 11, 0 OutsAug 14 12:31 AM
- Paul Goldschmidt lead-off Home Run (28) to left. Aaron Hill due up.
Orioles 3, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 9, 0 OutsAug 13 11:53 PM
- Gerardo Parra two-out, solo Home Run (8) to right. Wil Nieves due up.
Orioles 3, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 13 11:20 PM
- Martin Prado ground out short to first scored Aaron Hill with two out. None on and Gerardo Parra due up.
Orioles 3, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 13 11:19 PM
- J.J. Hardy lead-off Home Run (22) to left. Brian Roberts due up.
Orioles 3, Diamondbacks 0 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 13 10:38 PM
- Chris Davis two-out, two-run Home Run (44) to right scored Nick Markakis. Matt Wieters due up.
Orioles 2, Diamondbacks 0 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 13 10:24 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 13 9:41 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 21