Puig's HR sparks Dodgers over MarlinsAug 21, 2013 - 4:31 AM Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Yasiel Puig didn't start Tuesday's game, but the Dodgers rookie made his presence felt when he led off the eighth inning with a go-ahead solo homer in Los Angeles' 6-4 win over the Miami Marlins.
Puig was reportedly fined for being late to the ballpark but entered the game during a late double-switch.
Hitless in his previous 11 at-bats, the Cuban phenom stepped to the plate to lead off the eighth and cleared the scoreboard in left-center on a first-pitch fastball from Dan Jennings (2-4) to break a 4-4 tie.
"He's just instinctive," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said of Puig. "He was just up there hitting."
The home run was enough for the Dodgers to avoid a three-game losing streak despite the club leaving 12 runners on base while going 4-for-17 with runners in scoring position.
The Marlins were even worse in such situations, recording just two hits in 14 chances as their modest two-game win streak came to an end.
Giancarlo Stanton went 3-for-5 with an RBI and a run scored, while Jeff Mathis had two hits and singled in Justin Ruggiano to tie the game in the sixth.
Dodgers reliever Chris Withrow (2-0) struck out Donovan Solano to leave the bases loaded in the sixth, then survived consecutive singles to open the seventh.
Puig's 12th home run of the season put the visitors in front, and Hanley Ramirez scored an insurance run in the ninth on Tim Federowicz's infield hit.
Kenley Jansen closed out the win in the ninth with his 20th save as the Dodgers evened the four-game series at one game apiece.
The Marlins scored in the first inning off Chris Capuano when a leadoff double from Christian Yelich followed by productive groundouts from Solano and Stanton pushed a run across.
Marlins starter Jacob Turner wiggled around jams the first three innings before giving up four runs with two outs in the fourth. He walked Capuano to load the bases, and Carl Crawford tied the game with an infield single.
Mark Ellis hit a grounder up the middle that was fielded by Adeiny Hechavarria, and the shortstop's low throw got by Logan Morrison and allowed two runs to score. Adrian Gonzalez capped the inning with an RBI single.
"It didn't look like (Turner) had it tonight," Marlins manager Mike Redmond said.
Miami got two back in the fourth, one coming on Ruggiano's bases-loaded fielder's choice and the other on Hechavarria's one-out single.
Puig's homer was his first since Aug. 1 ... Capuano, who celebrated his 35th birthday on Monday, allowed three runs on six hits and lasted five innings ... The Dodgers have won each of Capuano's last seven starts ... Turner was charged with four runs -- three earned -- on 10 hits and five walks over five frames ... Over his last 20 starts dating back to last year, Turner has allowed more than three earned runs just twice ... Gonzalez had three of Los Angeles' 16 hits.
- LOS ANGELES: 6
Aug 20 10:39 PM
- Tim Federowicz infield single to third scored Hanley Ramirez with two out. On the play, Juan Uribe advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Yasiel Puig due up.
Dodgers 6, Marlins 4 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 20 10:26 PM
- Yasiel Puig lead-off Home Run (12) to left center. Carl Crawford due up.
Dodgers 5, Marlins 4 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 20 9:58 PM
- Jeff Mathis single to left scored Justin Ruggiano with one out. On the play, Adeiny Hechavarria advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Arquimedes Caminero due up.
Dodgers 4, Marlins 4 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 20 9:15 PM
- Adeiny Hechavarria single to left scored Logan Morrison with one out. On the play, Justin Ruggiano advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Jeff Mathis due up.
Dodgers 4, Marlins 3 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 20 8:31 PM
- Justin Ruggiano fielder's choice to third scored Giancarlo Stanton with one out. Ed Lucas out at second, Logan Morrison advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Adeiny Hechavarria due up.
Dodgers 4, Marlins 2 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 20 8:30 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez single to right scored Carl Crawford with two out. On the play, Mark Ellis advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Dodgers 4, Marlins 1 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 20 8:18 PM
- Mark Ellis infield single to short scored Tim Federowicz and Chris Capuano with two out. On the play, Carl Crawford advances to third on Adeiny Hechavarria throwing error. Runners on first and third with two outs and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Dodgers 3, Marlins 1 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 20 8:17 PM
- Carl Crawford infield single to second deflected by the pitcher scored Andre Ethier with two out. On the play, Chris Capuano advances to second and Tim Federowicz advances to third. Bases loaded with two outs and Mark Ellis due up.
Dodgers 1, Marlins 1 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 20 8:14 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton groundout to second scored Christian Yelich with two out. None on with two outs and Logan Morrison due up.
Dodgers 0, Marlins 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 20 7:22 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 20 7:10 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22