Greinke, Dodgers down MarlinsAug 22, 2013 - 4:13 AM Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Zack Greinke pitched eight innings to help the Los Angeles Dodgers take a 4-1 win over the Miami Marlins in the third of a four-game set.
Greinke (12-3) gave up a run on six hits with seven strikeouts to win his fourth straight start for the Dodgers, who have won their past two after losing consecutive games for the first time since dropping two to the Padres on June 20-21.
"Maybe I'm pitching better than I realize," said Greinke. "I just haven't been making a ton of mistakes and fixes some mechanical stuff. My changeup has been the best it's been in my career."
Hanley Ramirez went 2-for-4 with an RBI and two runs scored while Andre Ethier and Jerry Hairston each drove in a run in the win.
Giancarlo Stanton's home run accounted for the offense for the Marlins, who have lost four of six. Nathan Eovaldi (2-4) dropped his fourth straight decision as he was charged with three runs -- two earned -- on six hits with a pair of walks and five strikeouts in three innings.
Stanton homered with two outs in the first to get Miami on the board, but the team stranded men on base over the next three innings.
The Dodgers took the lead in the fourth as Yasiel Puig reached base on a bad throw from Ed Lucas and Adrian Gonzalez followed with a walk. Ramirez then doubled home the first run and Ethier followed with an RBI single. A bad pickoff throw from Eovaldi then scored Ramirez for a 3-0 lead.
"We make way too many mistakes out there to be able to win a game against a team like this," said Miami manager Mike Redmond. "When you give a team like the Dodgers extra chances, they'll beat you every time."
After the Marlins went down in order in the fifth and sixth, Lucas singled to start the seventh, but was left there as Greinke retired the next three batters.
Los Angeles added to its lead in the eighth on Hairston's sac fly that plated Ramirez for a 4-1 advantage.
Greinke pitched a 1-2-3 eighth inning while Kenley Jansen tossed a scoreless ninth for his 21st save of the season.
Stanton has an eight-game hitting streak ... The Dodgers have won four of the six games against the Marlins this season ... Greinke improved to 3-0 in six games (five starts) against the Marlins ... Eovaldi fell to 0-2 in two games against the Dodgers.
- LOS ANGELES: 4
Aug 21 9:59 PM
- Jerry Hairston sacrifice fly to center scored Hanley Ramirez with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Mark Ellis due up.
Dodgers 4, Marlins 1 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 21 9:27 PM
- Nathan Eovaldi throwing error scored Hanley Ramirez with none out. On the play Andre Ethier advances to second. Runner on second with none out and A.J. Ellis at the plate.
Dodgers 3, Marlins 1 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 21 8:10 PM
- Andre Ethier single to left scored Adrian Gonzalez with none out. On the play, Hanley Ramirez advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and A.J. Ellis due up.
Dodgers 2, Marlins 1 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 21 8:08 PM
- Hanley Ramirez double to left center scored Yasiel Puig with none out. On the play, Adrian Gonzalez advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 1, Marlins 1 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 21 8:05 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton two-out, solo Home Run (16) to left. Logan Morrison due up.
Dodgers 0, Marlins 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 21 7:25 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 21 7:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22