Seven-run inning spurs Pirates past GiantsAug 23, 2013 - 6:04 AM San Francisco, CA (Sports Network) - Jose Tabata's three-run double capped a seven-run fifth inning, as the Pittsburgh Pirates pounded the San Francisco Giants, 10-5, to remain atop the NL Central.
With St. Louis winning at home over Atlanta earlier Thursday, the Pirates needed a victory to keep the lead in the division. Pedro Alvarez hit a two-run ground-rule double to start the big frame, and Pittsburgh kept its one-game edge on the Cardinals.
Garrett Jones and Jordy Mercer belted solo homers off Matt Cain, who left with a contusion on his right forearm after he was hit by a line drive in the fourth inning.
Jeff Locke threw 73 pitches over the first four innings and was replaced by Jeanmar Gomez (3-0), who breezed through the ensuing three hitless innings in the opener of this four-game series.
"He maintained rhythm warming up. He maintained that posture," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said of his decision to replace Locke with Gomez after the long seven-run top of the inning.
Marco Scutaro and pinch-hitter Brandon Crawford had two-run hits for the Giants, who lost for the fourth time in five games. Brett Pill had three of San Francisco's eight hits.
Cain entered the contest having tossed 15 2/3 consecutive scoreless innings against the Pirates. He was 3-0 with a 1.24 ERA in his last six starts against them, but allowed an RBI single to Andrew McCutchen in the opening inning and the homers to Jones and Mercer in the second. Jones' blast landed in San Francisco Bay, as he snapped an 0-for-19 slump.
Cain gave up seven hits over his 3 1/3 innings and was forced out of the game when Gaby Sanchez laced a ball that glanced off the pitcher as he tried to protect himself. Cain walked off the field and was replaced by Guillermo Moscoso (1-2).
"He took a pretty good shot there. He's going to be sore for a while," said Giants manager Bruce Bochy, who noted there's a chance Cain could miss his next start.
X-rays taken were negative.
"We are fortunate and he is. He's tough," added Bochy. "Once we got out there, you could see it starting to swell up."
Buster Posey's sacrifice fly in the third plated Scutaro, who singled to center the next inning to tie the game.
The Pirates sent 11 men to the plate in the fifth. A wild Moscoso walked two batters and hit Tabata to start the bottom half. Jose Mijares then gave up Alvarez's two-run hit. Russell Martin and Sanchez tacked on sacrifice flies. Locke's single kept the inning going, and Tabata then cleared the bases with his smash to left.
Crawford hit a two-run ground-rule double to center in the eighth inning. Tony Watson then struck out Nick Noonan with two men in scoring position.
The Pirates, who have won three of their last four games, recorded their 9,800th win in franchise history since joining the National League in 1887. They are the sixth major league team to reach the mark, joining the Giants, Cubs, Braves, Dodgers and Yankees ... McCutchen has hit safely in each of his last nine games against the Giants at a .459 (17-for-37) clip ... Alvarez has nine RBI in his last seven games ... The Giants placed outfielder Andres Torres on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left Achilles tendon. The team also optioned pitcher Michael Kickham to Triple-A Fresno, while recalling infielder Nick Noonan and outfielder Francisco Peguero from Fresno ... Giants third baseman Pablo Sandoval, who was been held out of the lineup the last two games due to a sore back, started and went 1-for-3 with two runs scored.
- PITTSBURGH: 10
SAN FRANCISCO: 5
Aug 23 1:34 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Brandon Crawford ground-rule double to center scored Pablo Sandoval and Brett Pill with two out. On the play, Gregor Blanco advances to third. Runners on second and third and Nick Noonan due up.
Pirates 10, Giants 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 23 1:18 AM
- Jose Tabata double to left scored Garrett Jones, Jordy Mercer and Jeff Locke with two out. Runner on second and Neil Walker due up.
Pirates 10, Giants 3 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 23 12:14 AM
- Gaby Sanchez sacrifice fly to right scored Pedro Alvarez with two out. Runner on first and Jordy Mercer due up.
Pirates 7, Giants 3 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 23 12:07 AM
- Russell Martin sacrifice fly to right scored Andrew McCutchen with one out. On the play, Pedro Alvarez advances to third. Runner on third and Garrett Jones due up.
Pirates 6, Giants 3 Top 5, 1 OutAug 23 12:02 AM
- Pedro Alvarez ground-rule double to right scored Jose Tabata and Neil Walker with none out. On the play, Andrew McCutchen advances to third. Runners on second and third and Russell Martin due up.
Pirates 5, Giants 3 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 23 12:01 AM
- Marco Scutaro single to center scored Pablo Sandoval and Gregor Blanco with two out. On the play, Marco Scutaro advances to second on the throw. Runner on second and Joaquin Arias due up.
Pirates 3, Giants 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 22 11:43 PM
- Buster Posey sacrifice fly to left scored Marco Scutaro with two out. Runner on first and Hunter Pence due up.
Pirates 3, Giants 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 22 11:15 PM
- Jordy Mercer one-out, solo Home Run (6) to left. Jeff Locke due up.
Pirates 3, Giants 0 Top 2, 1 OutAug 22 10:41 PM
- Garrett Jones lead-off Home Run (12) to right. Gaby Sanchez due up.
Pirates 2, Giants 0 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 22 10:39 PM
- Andrew McCutchen single to left scored Jose Tabata with none out. On the play, Neil Walker advances to second. Runners on first and second and Pedro Alvarez due up.
Pirates 1, Giants 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 22 10:20 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 22 10:16 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21