Cuddyer, Rockies down MarlinsAug 24, 2013 - 5:51 AM Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Michael Cuddyer brought home a pair of runs to help lift the Colorado Rockies over the Miami Marlins 3-2 in the opener of a three-game set.
Cuddyer picked up his two RBI on a fielder's choice in the sixth and a single in the eighth to help halt Colorado's losing skid at two.
Jhoulys Chacin (12-7) took the mound for Colorado. The right-hander allowed only two runs on four hits with five strikeouts and four walks for his first career winning decision against the Marlins.
"He did a great job again, gave him that long leash in the seventh and he got through it," said Rockies manager Walt Weiss about Chacin. "He did a great job."
Tom Koehler spun seven innings for Miami, only surrendering one run on six hits while fanning five batters. Koehler has not picked up a win since August 1.
It was relief pitcher Chad Qualls (4-2) that would be handed the loss and a blown save. Qualls allowed two runs on three hits in the eighth inning to hand Colorado the win.
Donovan Solano went 2-for-4 for the Marlins, who have now lost four consecutive games.
"I know the guys are competing and the effort is there, I've said that all year," said Marlins manger Mike Redmond. "I know it is, but at the same time too, it's tough sometimes."
The Rockies took the lead in the top half of the eighth. Troy Tulowitzki reached second on a sharp line drive to center and was brought home by Cuddyer who singled on a soft line drive to shallow center field. He advanced to third after a Wilin Rosario groundout. Ryan Wheeler hit Colorado's second double of the inning to plate Cuddyer.
Rex Brothers struck out two batters in the ninth to earn his 12th save on the season.
Ed Lucas hit a deep solo shot to center field in the bottom of the fifth for the Marlins to open up the game's scoring and snap a scoreless streak that went back 21 innings.
DJ LeMahieu hit a triple to the warning track in center to lead off the sixth inning. After a walk to Tulowitzki, LeMahieu crossed the plate when Cuddyer grounded into a fielder's choice.
In the home half of the sixth, Solano tried to spark a rally with a two-out double to center. Chacin then walked Logan Morrison and Giancarlo Stanton to load the bases. Lucas grounded out to the shortstop to end Miami's threat.
Miami went ahead in the seventh frame when Jake Marisnick hit a triple into the right corner with one out. Jeff Mathis then walked to put runners on the corners. A fly out to right from pinch-hitter Greg Dobbs delivered Marisnick from third to put the Marlins ahead by one.
Tulowitzki extended his hitting streak to ten games with a double in the first ... Colorado's loss to Philadelphia on Thursday was the road loss number 1000 in franchise history... The Rockies made a number of roster moves prior to the game. They placed pitcher Rafael Betancourt on the 15-day disabled list, designated pitcher Edgmer Escalona for assignment; recalled pitcher Rob Scahill from Triple-A Colorado Springs, and activated Chacin from the bereavement list...Marlins lead the all-time series 86-83...Stanton's hitting streak ended at nine games while Rosario's was stopped at 13.
- COLORADO: 3
Aug 23 9:55 PM
- Ryan Wheeler double to center scored Michael Cuddyer. Runner on second with two outs and Nolan Arenado due up.
Rockies 3, Marlins 2 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 23 9:30 PM
- Michael Cuddyer single to right scored Troy Tulowitzki. On th eplay, Michael Cuddyer to second on the throw home. Runner on second with one out and Wilin Rosario due up.
Rockies 2, Marlins 2 Top 8, 1 OutAug 23 9:26 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Greg Dobbs sacrifice fly out to right scored Jake Marisnick. Runner on first with two outs and Christian Yelich due up.
Rockies 1, Marlins 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 23 9:17 PM
- Michael Cuddyer grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second scored DJ LeMahieu Troy Tulowitzki out at second. Runner on first with one out and Wilin Rosario due up.
Rockies 1, Marlins 1 Top 6, 1 OutAug 23 8:40 PM
- Ed Lucas lead-off Home Run (3) to left center. Adeiny Hechavarria due up.
Rockies 0, Marlins 1 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 23 8:26 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 23 7:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21