Giants cut down Liriano, PiratesAug 25, 2013 - 6:12 AM San Francisco, CA (Sports Network) - Pablo Sandoval drove in a pair of runs as the San Francisco Giants took a 6-3 win over the Pittsburgh Pirates in the third contest of a four-game set.
Buster Posey went 3-for-5 with an RBI and a run scored, while Brett Pill and Gregor Blanco each drove in a run for the Giants, who had dropped five of six coming into the game.
Tim Lincecum (7-13) gave up three runs on three hits with four walks and eight strikeouts over 5 1/3 innings to pick up the win.
Tony Sanchez hit a solo home run and drove in two, while Gaby Sanchez had the other RBI for the Pirates, who dropped into a tie with St. Louis for the top spot in the NL Central as the Cardinals defeated the Braves on Saturday.
Francisco Liriano (14-6) gave up four runs on nine hits with a pair of walks and three strikeouts in just four innings of work. He had won five of his previous six starts coming in.
"Inconsistent command. At the end of the day, that's what it was," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said about Liriano.
San Fran jumped all over Liriano in the first inning as the first three batters had hits with Posey getting the scoring started on an RBI single. Pill later singled home a run and Sandoval followed with a groundout that plated another. Blanco made it a 4-0 game with a base hit to left.
"We haven't done that in a while, especially here at home, get some early runs," said Giants manager Bruce Bochy.
The score stayed that will until the fifth when Tony Sanchez led off the frame with his first career home run, but the Giants got it back in the home half as Hector Sanchez scored on a wild pitch by Jared Hughes.
In the sixth, Gaby Sanchez and Tony Sanchez each hit an RBI single to make it a 5-3 contest, but Pablo Sandoval's RBI single in the home portion gave the Giants a three-run lead.
Javier Lopez struck out Pedro Alvarez to leave men stranded at the corners in the seventh, Santiago Casilla pitched a 1-2-3 eighth and Sergio Romo stranded a man on second in the ninth for his 31st save of the season.
Before the game, the Pirates placed outfielder Starling Marte on the 15-day disabled list and recalled outfielder Andrew Lambo from Triple-A Indianapolis ... Liriano is the first Pirate since Vernon Law in 1965 to record a decision in each of his first 19 starts of a season. The last Pirate to have a decision in more than his first 19 starts of a season was Nick Strincevich (21) in 1946 ... Pittsburgh has won four of the six games against San Francisco this season ... The Pirates were just 2-for-12 with runners in scoring position and left eight men on base.
- PITTSBURGH: 3
SAN FRANCISCO: 6
Aug 25 12:18 AM
- Pablo Sandoval single to right scored Hunter Pence with two outs. Runner on first and Hector Sanchez due up.
Pirates 3, Giants 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 24 11:28 PM
- Tony Sanchez single to center scored Pedro Alvarez with one out. On the play, Gaby Sanchez advances to second. Runners on first and second and Andrew Lambo due up.
Pirates 3, Giants 5 Top 6, 1 OutAug 24 11:21 PM
- Garrett Jones single to center scored Andrew McCutchen with one out. On the play, Pedro Alvarez advances to third. Runners on first and third and Tony Sanchez due up.
Pirates 2, Giants 5 Top 6, 1 OutAug 24 11:09 PM
- Gregor Blanco advances to third on a wild pitch. Hector Sanchez scored on a wild pitch with two outs. Runner on third and Marco Scutaro at the plate.
Pirates 1, Giants 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 24 10:55 PM
- Tony Sanchez lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Andrew Lambo due up.
Pirates 1, Giants 4 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 24 10:39 PM
- Gregor Blanco single to left scored Brett Pill with two outs. On the play, Hector Sanchez advances to second. Runners on first and second and Tim Lincecum due up.
Pirates 0, Giants 4 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 24 9:35 PM
- Pablo Sandoval ground out second to first scored Buster Posey with two outs. On the play, Brett Pill advances to second. Runner on second and Hector Sanchez due up.
Pirates 0, Giants 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 24 9:30 PM
- Brett Pill single to third scored Joaquin Arias with one out. On the play, Buster Posey advances to third. Runners on first and third and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Pirates 0, Giants 2 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 24 9:27 PM
- Buster Posey single to left scored Marco Scutaro with none out. On the play, Joaquin Arias advances to third. Runners on first and third and Hunter Pence due up.
Pirates 0, Giants 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsAug 24 9:24 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 24 9:05 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21