Rockies batter Zito, defeat GiantsAug 27, 2013 - 6:37 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Todd Helton hit a two-run home run and Juan Nicasio pitched six shutout innings as the Colorado Rockies took a 6-1 win over the San Francisco Giants to open a three-game set.
Nicasio (8-6) gave up just four hits and two walks while striking out nine for the Rockies, who have won three of their last four.
Charlie Blackmon came into the game in the second inning after Dexter Fowler bruised his left knee while getting caught stealing in the first. Blackmon hit a solo homer and drove in two while Nolan Arenado added three hits and two runs scored in the win.
"I think we're very confident, if we get our guys healthy I think we're going to be okay," said Arenado. "It's just a matter of getting all our guys out there and all playing together."
Barry Zito (4-10) continued to struggle as he remained winless over his past 16 appearances. On Monday, he pitched four innings and was touched for five runs on nine hits to drop his second straight start for the Giants, who were coming off a split of a four-game series with Pittsburgh.
Zito hasn't won a game since defeating Oakland on May 30, and is 0-7 since then.
"There's some bad luck in there, he just left some pitches up too, though," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said.
Helton got the Rockies on the board in the second as Arenado singled to start the frame and Helton followed with his ninth home run of the season for a 2-0 lead.
Blackmon homered to right to lead off the third, and Colorado tacked on two more runs in the fourth thanks to an RBI single from Nicasio and a run- scoring groundout from Blackmon for a 5-0 lead.
DJ LeMahieu's RBI single in the seventh made it a 6-0 game.
San Francisco left the bases loaded in the first, and wasted a two-on, no-out situation in the sixth.
Wilton Lopez pitched two scoreless innings, while Jeff Francis gave up an RBI single to pinch-hitter Joaquin Arias in the ninth to account for the final score.
Dexter is listed as day-to-day with the injury ... The season-series is tied at 7-7 ... Zito fell to 8-5 in 23 career meetings with Colorado ... Nicasio improved to 2-1 in five starts against the Giants ... The Giants batted 2- for-9 with runners in scoring position and left nine on base.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 1
Aug 26 11:32 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Joaquin Arias double to center scored Francisco Peguero with two out. Runner on second and Gregor Blanco due up.
Giants 1, Rockies 6 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 26 11:28 PM
- DJ LeMahieu infield single to the pitcher. On the play, Corey Dickerson advances to home on Jose Mijares's throwing error with one out. Runner on first and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Giants 0, Rockies 6 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 26 11:08 PM
- Charlie Blackmon grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Todd Helton with two out. On the play, Juan Nicasio out at second. Charlie Culberson advances to third. Runners on first and third and DJ LeMahieu due up.
Giants 0, Rockies 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 26 10:05 PM
- Juan Nicasio single to center scored Nolan Arenado with one out. On the play, Charlie Culberson advances to second and Todd Helton advances to third. Bases loaded and Charlie Blackmon due up.
Giants 0, Rockies 4 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 26 10:01 PM
- Charlie Blackmon lead-off Home Run (4) to right. DJ LeMahieu due up.
Giants 0, Rockies 3 Bot 3, 0 OutsAug 26 9:36 PM
- Todd Helton none-out, two-run Home Run (9) to right scored Nolan Arenado. Charlie Culberson due up.
Giants 0, Rockies 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 26 9:20 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 26 8:42 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21