McCarthy pitches D-backs over PadresAug 27, 2013 - 4:41 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Brandon McCarthy pitched seven innings to earn his first win in more than three months, as the Diamondbacks pulled away for a 6-1 triumph over the San Diego Padres.
Martin Prado drove in three runs and Paul Goldschmidt added a pair of RBI for Arizona, which opened its nine-game homestand with only its second win in six contests. They are six games behind Cincinnati for the National League's second wild card spot.
McCarthy (3-8) allowed five hits and one unearned run. The right-hander also had five strikeouts and didn't walk a batter over his 93-pitch performance. It was his first win since May 24 against San Diego. McCarthy had been 0-5 with an 8.59 ERA over his previous five starts.
"Getting ahead is a good sign. It's something I've struggled with in the last few weeks," McCarthy said. "Tonight I think was a good first step where I've felt normal again, getting good results."
Tyson Ross (3-7) was charged with seven hits and six runs -- four earned -- over six-plus innings.
"I thought he threw the ball well. They put the bat on the ball and some grounders found some holes. We just couldn't get any runs," Padres manager Bud Black said.
San Diego's only run in the opener of this three-game set came in the first inning when Will Venable scored on a Didi Gregorius throwing error.
The Diamondbacks went ahead in the fourth. Adam Eaton was hit by a pitch and Goldschmidt followed with a triple to the corner in right. Prado's sacrifice fly to right made it 2-1.
Prado's bases-loaded ground single to left plated two runs in the sixth for a 4-1 cushion.
Tony Campana and Goldschmidt hit into force plays that turned into turns in the seventh. Campana's hit to third should have resulted in a double play, but catcher Nick Hundley had his foot off the base and Gerardo Parra scored.
San Diego leads the season series, 8-5 ... Ross suffered his first road loss since June 30 at Miami ... Prior to the game, the Diamondbacks activated infielder Eric Chavez and catcher Miguel Montero from the 15-day disabled list, and optioned infielder Matt Davidson and catcher Tuffy Gosewish to Triple-A Reno ... The Padres selected the contract of outfielder Reymond Fuentes from Tucson, recalled pitcher Anthony Bass from Tucson, and optioned outfielder Jaff Decker and pitcher Brad Brach to the Triple-A club ... Arizona will start LHP David Holmberg on Tuesday, when he'll make his MLB debut.
- SAN DIEGO: 1
Aug 27 12:14 AM
- Paul Goldschmidt ground ball fielder's choice, third to second scored Aaron Hill with two outs. Adam Eaton out at second Tony Campana advances to third. Runners on first and third and Eric Chavez due up.
Padres 1, Diamondbacks 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 26 11:49 PM
- Tony Campana ground ball fielder's choice to third. On the play, Aaron Hill advances to second and Didi Gregorius advances to third and Gerardo Parra scored on Nick Hundley's missed catch error with none out. Bases loaded and Adam Eaton due up.
Padres 1, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 26 11:43 PM
- Martin Prado single to left scored Tony Campana and Adam Eaton with one out. On the play, Eric Chavez advances to second. Runners on first and second and Miguel Montero due up.
Padres 1, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 26 11:22 PM
- Martin Prado sacrifice fly to right scored Paul Goldschmidt with two outs. None on and Miguel Montero due up.
Padres 1, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 26 10:44 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt triple to right scored Adam Eaton with none out. Runner on third and Eric Chavez due up.
Padres 1, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 26 10:41 PM
- Yonder Alonso grounded into a fielder's choice, first to short Alexi Amarista out at second Will Venable scored on Didi Gregorius's throwing error with one out. Runner on first and Jedd Gyorko due up.
Padres 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 26 9:47 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 26 9:42 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21