Chavez lifts D'backs over Giants in the ninthSep 1, 2013 - 5:36 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Eric Chavez hit the game-winning single in the bottom of the ninth to lift the Arizona Diamondbacks to a 4-3 win over the San Francisco Giants, in the middle test of a three-game series.
Tied at 3-3 in the ninth and with Sandy Rosario (3-2) pitching for the Giants, Willie Bloomquist hit a leadoff single to left. After a sacrifice bunt by Adam Eaton, Paul Goldschmidt was intentionally walked.
Chavez then hit the first pitch thrown to him to left center, bringing Bloomquist home.
"I think it was fastball away," said Chavez. "I have never faced the guy before, just looking for a strike. You want to get a hit every time, you have to walk him (Goldschmidt) there."
Brad Ziegler (8-1) threw a 1-2-3 top of the ninth to pick up the win.
San Francisco missed several scoring chances, and were down 3-0 through six innings. However, Gregor Blanco quickly changed things after homering to start the seventh. Angel Pagan hit a one-out infield single, stole second, advanced to third on a wild pitch, and scored on Marco Scutaro's triple to center.
D'backs starter Trevor Cahill was taken off the mound in favor of Eury De La Rosa, who struck out Brandon Belt. He was then replaced by Josh Collmenter, who gave up an RBI single to Buster Posey, tying the game at 3-3.
However, the Giants failed to get a runner on base in the final two innings.
The D'backs scored three of their runs in the fourth. Martin Prado doubled to lead off. Aaron Hill and Miguel Montero hit back-to-back singles, the latter scoring Prado. Gerardo Parra then hit a sacrifice fly to bring Hill home.
Following a sacrifice bunt by Cahill, Bloomquist knocked an RBI single to center. However, on the same play, he was thrown out attempting to advance to second, ending the inning.
"They got super aggressive on me," said Giants starter Ryan Vogelsong, who allowed three runs on nine hits over six frames. "I was trying to throw stuff off the plate, and they were still getting hits."
Cahill gave up three runs on nine hits and three walks over 6 1/3 innings ... Arizona was 5-for-9 with runners in scoring position and stranded 11 ... Goldschmidt was walked three times ... Parra has nine RBI in his last six games ... Pence is on an eight-game hitting streak ... Arizona's Patrick Corbin is scheduled to face San Francisco's Yusmeiro Petit in Sunday's series finale.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 3
Aug 31 11:34 PM
- Eric Chavez single to center scored Willie Bloomquist with one out to end the game.
Giants 3, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 9, 1 OutAug 31 11:23 PM
- Buster Posey single to right scoring Marco Scutaro with two outs. Runner on first and Hunter Pence due up.
Giants 3, Diamondbacks 3 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 31 10:27 PM
- Marco Scutaro triple to center scoring Angel Pagan with one out. Runner on third and Brandon Belt due up.
Giants 2, Diamondbacks 3 Top 7, 1 OutAug 31 10:18 PM
- Gregor Blanco lead-off Home Run (2) to right. Ryan Vogelsong due up.
Giants 1, Diamondbacks 3 Top 7, 0 OutsAug 31 10:07 PM
- Willie Bloomquist single to center scoring Miguel Montero with two outs. Bloomquist out at second trying to advance to end the inning.
Giants 0, Diamondbacks 3 End 4Aug 31 9:28 PM
- Gerardo Parra sacrifice fly to right scoring Aaron Hill with one out. Runner on first and Trevor Cahill due up.
Giants 0, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 31 9:23 PM
- Miguel Montero single to right scoring Martin Prado with none out. On the play, Aaron Hill advances to third. Runners on first and third and Gerardo Parra due up.
Giants 0, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 31 9:21 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 31 8:11 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21