Angels sweep Brewers thanks to 7th-inning surgeSep 2, 2013 - 4:32 AM Milwaukee, WI (Sports Network) - J.B. Shuck's three-run double in a four-run seventh inning staked Los Angeles to a 5-3 victory over Milwaukee in the last of a three-game interleague set.
Kole Calhoun added a pair of hits and drove in the other two runs for the Angels, who swept the series and have taken eight of their last nine overall.
C.J. Wilson (14-6) hung in long enough to snag the win, going six innings and giving up three runs -- two earned -- on three hits. Ernesto Frieri recorded the final five outs for his 30th save.
"He kept us in the game and gave us a chance to win," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said of Wilson.
Carlos Gomez hit a two-run shot for the Brewers, who stumbled to their fourth loss in five.
"We had a really good chance to win two of these games, so as long as we're having chances to win," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said.
Rob Wooten (3-1) was charged in defeat for three hits and three runs with two walks while recording two outs in the seventh.
The Angels loaded the bases with one out in the seventh thanks to singles from Hank Conger and Luis Jimenez and an intentional walk to pinch-hitter Josh Hamilton, then Shuck's double off Wooten cleared the sacks for a 4-3 edge. Erick Aybar fanned ahead of another free pass, this time to Mike Trout, then Calhoun bounced a ball over the wall in left center to score Shuck for a 5-3 score.
In the home eighth, the Brewers loaded the sacks against Dane De La Rosa with one out on a Norichika Aoki single sandwiched around walks to Scooter Gennett and Jean Segura. Ernesto Frieri came in to strike out Jonathan Lucroy after the Milwaukee catcher twice narrowly missed extra-base hits, and also fanned Khris Davis swinging to end the threat.
Frieri set down the side in order in the ninth to cap the win.
The visitors hit the scoreboard in the third, when Trout struck a one-out triple and scored when Calhoun followed with a base hit.
Milwaukee tied the game inthe home half when starter Kyle Lohse's fielder's choice grounder scored Jeff Bianchi, then moved in front in the home fourth, as Lucroy worked a leadoff walk and came around on a two-out, two-run shot by Gomez.
Trout finished a home run shy of the cycle ... The Halos finished their road trip a blistering 8-1 ... Lohse allowed seven hits and one run over six full frames ... Prior to the game the Brewers recalled pitcher Donovan Hand from Triple-A Nashville and added Sandy Guerrero to the coaching staff ... Milwaukee also acquired pitcher Michael Blazek from the Cardinals to complete Friday's trade which saw emabttled reliever John Axford head to St. Louis ... The Angels recalled pitcher Ryan Brasier from Triple-A Salt Lake ... Hamilton was out of the starting lineup for the third consecutive game.
- LOS ANGELES: 5
Sep 1 5:17 PM
- Kole Calhoun ground-rule double to left center scored J.B. Shuck with two outs. On the play, Mike Trout advances to third. Runners on second and third and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 5, Brewers 3 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 1 4:19 PM
- J.B. Shuck double to right scored Hank Conger, Luis Jimenez and Josh Hamilton with one out. Runner on second and Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 4, Brewers 3 Top 7, 1 OutSep 1 4:13 PM
- Carlos Gomez one-out, two-run Home Run (19) to left center scored Jonathan Lucroy. Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Angels 1, Brewers 3 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 1 3:26 PM
- Kyle Lohse grounded into a fielder's choice to pitcher, scoring Jeff Bianchi with one out. Runner on first and Norichika Aoki due up.
Angels 1, Brewers 1 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 1 3:10 PM
- Kole Calhoun single to left scored Mike Trout with one out. Runner on first and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 1, Brewers 0 Top 3, 1 OutSep 1 2:57 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 1 2:10 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21