Gyorko's eighth inning blast lifts Padres over RockiesSep 8, 2013 - 5:28 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Jedd Gyorko's leadoff homer in the eighth inning lifted the San Diego Padres to a 2-1 win over the Colorado Rockies on Saturday.
The Rockies had tied the game in the top of the frame, as DJ LeMahieu singled home Charlie Culberson.
Gyorko, though, opened the home portion by crushing Matt Belisle's first pitch over the wall in right field to put the Padres ahead.
Gyorko finished 2-for-4 and Alexi Amarista drove in a run for the Padres, winners in four of their last five games.
Luke Gregerson (6-7) earned the win despite allowing the game-tying run in the eighth and Huston Street worked a scoreless ninth to pick up his 28th save of the season.
San Diego starter Tyson Ross scattered three hits and two walks over seven shutout innings.
"He threw seven scoreless innings and gave up only three hits, but there have been times this season where he gets back in the rotation and pitched better than he did tonight. That is a great sign," said Padres manager Bud Black.
Belisle (5-6) was pegged with the loss. Colorado starter Tyler Chatwood held Padres to one run on five hits over six innings.
"I had a pretty good sinker tonight and a pretty good curveball. I got to go out there and pitch that long and kept us in the game," said Chatwood.
With the bases loaded and two outs in the first, Amarista laced a line drive off Chatwood's glove. The ball ricocheted off the glove and slowly rolled to the right side of the infield, allowing Chris Denorfia to score.
Culberson replaced Ryan Wheeler on first base in the eighth, after Wheeler reached on a force out. Culberson stole second, then scored on LeMahieu's single to left field.
San Diego was 1-for-5 with runners in scoring position ... Gyorko has 17 homers this season ... Will Venable recorded his 17th stolen base of the year ... Colorado went 1-for-6 with RISP ... LeMahieu extended his hitting streak to 10 games.
- COLORADO: 1
SAN DIEGO: 2
Sep 7 11:08 PM
- Jedd Gyorko lead-off Home Run (17) to right. Chase Headley due up.
Rockies 1, Padres 2 Bot 8, 0 OutsSep 7 10:58 PM
- DJ LeMahieu single to left scoring Charlie Culberson with two out, DJ LeMahieu advances to third on Nick Hundley's missed catch error. Runner on third and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Rockies 1, Padres 1 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 7 10:56 PM
- Alexi Amarista single to second scoring Chris Denorfia with two outs. On the play, Jesus Guzman advances to second and Jedd Gyorko advances to third. Bases loaded with two outs and Ronny Cedeno due up.
Rockies 0, Padres 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 7 8:59 PM
- COLORADO: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 7 8:41 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22