McCarthy shines as D'backs edge GiantsSep 8, 2013 - 5:35 AM San Francisco, CA (Sports Network) - Brandon McCarthy tossed eight strong innings to guide the Arizona Diamondbacks to a 2-1 win over the San Francisco Giants in the third of a four-game set.
Just a night removed from nearly having a perfect game thrown against them, the Diamondbacks pounded out 10 hits, with Paul Goldschmidt going 3-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored, while Gerardo Parra had two hits and an RBI for the Diamondbacks, who have won three of four.
McCarthy (4-9) gave up just six hits and a run with six strikeouts to win for the second time in his past three starts.
"Since he's been hurt he's come back and really worked hard," said Arizona manager Kirk Gibson about McCarthy. "He's been pitching really well for us lately after making some adjustments. He's throwing the ball more natural now."
On Friday, Yusmeiro Petit had a perfect game going through 8 2/3 innings, but Eric Chavez punched a single to right with the count full to spoil Petit's chance at the record books.
Marco Scutaro had an RBI while Matt Cain (8-9) gave up both runs on eight hits in 6 1/3 innings for the Giants, who have lost four of six.
"McCarthy threw the ball really well and it was moving all over," said Cain. "Games like this come down to who makes more mistakes and I did today."
San Francisco got on the board in the third inning as Brandon Crawford led off with a single, moved to second on a sac bunt from Cain, and came home thanks to Scutaro's single.
Arizona, though, tied the game in the fourth. Goldschmidt led off with a single and moved to second on Chavez's walk. Three batters later, Parra singled to right to tie the game.
In the fifth, the Diamondbacks went up 2-1 as Adam Eaton walked and Goldschmidt followed with a triple.
San Francisco left a man on base in the fifth, sixth and seventh innings, and McCarthy set the team down in order in the eighth.
Brad Ziegler pitched a 1-2-3 ninth for his ninth save of the season.
Arizona left nine men on base after going just 1-for-11 with runners in scoring position, while San Francisco left five men on base ... San Francisco has won 11 of the 18 games with Arizona this season.
- ARIZONA: 2
SAN FRANCISCO: 1
Sep 7 11:51 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt triple to right scored Adam Eaton with one out. Runner on third with one out and Eric Chavez due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Giants 1 Top 5, 1 OutSep 7 10:23 PM
- Gerardo Parra single to right scored Paul Goldschmidt with two out. On the play, Eric Chavez advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Chris Owings due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Giants 1 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 7 10:04 PM
- Marco Scutaro single to center scored Brandon Crawford with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Brandon Belt due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Giants 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 7 9:53 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 7 9:07 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21