Pagan knocks in game-winner in 11th for GiantsSep 9, 2013 - 5:25 AM San Francisco, CA (Sports Network) - Angel Pagan drove in the winning run in the 11th inning to boost the San Francisco Giants to a 3-2 victory over the Arizona Diamondbacks to wrap up a four-game set.
In the 11th with Joe Thatcher (3-2) on the mound, Hector Sanchez led off with a single and was replaced on the basepath by Ehire Adrianza, who moved over to second on a Gregor Blanco fielder's choice. Pagan then punched a single to left and Adrianza raced home for the win.
Sanchez finished the game with three hits and an RBI for the Giants, who split the four-game set. Madison Baumgarner gave up just four hits and struck out nine over six innings, while Javier Lopez (3-2) recorded the final two outs of the 11th to pick up the win.
"When you win a game like that it's a sense of relief," said Giants manager Bruce Bochy. "We got some real good pitching and the guys that came off the bench did some good work today."
A.J. Pollock and Eric Chavez each drove in a run for the Diamondbacks, who have dropped five of eight. Wade Miley was charged with two runs on five hits over seven innings in the start.
"We have not swung the bats very well at all, especially in the good situations," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said.
The Giants took the lead in the fourth inning. Tony Abreu led off with a walk and Buster Posey followed with a double. Two batters later, Sanchez scored a run with a single, and Posey later scored on a wild pitch for a 2-0 lead.
Arizona, which had just four hits through the first seven innings of the game, got on board in the eighth to tie the contest. With Santiago Casilla on the mound, Chris Owings singled to start the frame and moved to second on a wild pitch. After Adam Eaton single, a sacrifice fly from pinch-hitter Chavez made it a one-run game. Two batters later, Pollock tied the game with a single to center.
The Giants host Colorado for three games starting on Monday ... Arizona starts a three-game set at Los Angeles on Monday ... San Francisco won 12 of the 19 games against Arizona this season.
- ARIZONA: 2
SAN FRANCISCO: 3
Sep 8 7:52 PM
- Angel Pagan singled to left scored Ehire Adrianza with none out to win the game.
Diamondbacks 2, Giants 3 Bot 11, 0 OutsSep 8 7:49 PM
- A.J. Pollock singled to center scored Adam Eaton with two outs. Runner on first and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Giants 2 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 8 6:19 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Eric Chavez sacrifice fly out to right scored Chris Owings with one out. On the play, Adam Eaton advances to third. Runner on third and Willie Bloomquist due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Giants 2 Top 8, 1 OutSep 8 6:14 PM
- Buster Posey scores on a wild pitch with two outs. Hector Sanchez advances to second on a wild pitch. Runner on second and Juan Perez at the plate.
Diamondbacks 0, Giants 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 8 5:20 PM
- Hector Sanchez singled to right scored Tony Abreu with one out. On the play, Buster Posey advances to third. Runners on first and third and Francisco Peguero due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Giants 1 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 8 5:14 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 8 4:07 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21