Dodgers nip Giants in extrasSep 13, 2013 - 6:50 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Adrian Gonzalez's game-winning RBI single in the bottom of the 10th inning lifted the Los Angeles Dodgers to a 3-2 win over the San Francisco Giants in the opener of a four-game set.
Carl Crawford led off the 10th with a single against Jeremy Affeldt (1-5). Crawford scampered to second on Nick Punto's sacrifice bunt and Gonzalez lined a base hit up the middle to plate Crawford.
"I take it like any other at-bat with runners in scoring position. It's a great feeling to get a walk-off," Gonzalez said.
The Dodgers' magic number to clinch its first NL West title since 2009 is six.
Yasiel Puig cracked an RBI double for Los Angeles, which had lost five of its last seven tilts coming into the contest.
Brian Wilson (2-1) tossed a scoreless 10th to notch the win.
Hunter Pence smacked a solo homer and Gregor Blanco had a game-tying RBI single in the ninth for the Giants, who had won four of their last six games heading into Thursday.
San Francisco starter Matt Cain permitted two runs -- one earned -- on six hits and a walk over seven frames in the no-decision.
"I felt good, I threw a lot of strikes and I got into a good rhythm," Cain said.
The game was tied 1-1 heading into the home seventh before A.J. Ellis began the inning with a single. Dee Gordon came on to pinch-run for Ellis. He stole second and advanced to third on Mark Ellis' sacrifice bunt.
Pinch-hitter Jerry Hairston struck out, but Puig came through when he ripped a two-bagger into the gap in left-center to bring home Gordon for a 2-1 Los Angeles spread.
San Francisco, though, knotted the game in the ninth against Los Angeles' Kenley Jansen.
Pablo Sandoval singled and was replaced by pinch-runner Juan Perez, who stole second and later advanced to third after Brandon Crawford grounded out. Blanco then lined a base hit to center and plate Perez to make it 2-2.
Pence's leadoff shot in the second opened the scoring, but Ellis' RBI groundout in the home half tied it at 1-1.
Dodgers starter Zack Greinke surrendered a run on four hits and two walks over six innings ... The Dodgers were 2-for-7 with runners in scoring position, while the Giants finished 1-for-5 with RISP.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 2
LOS ANGELES: 3
Sep 13 2:06 AM
- Adrian Gonzalez singled to center scored Carl Crawford with one out to end the game.
Giants 2, Dodgers 3 Bot 10, 1 OutSep 13 2:04 AM
- Gregor Blanco singled to center scored Pinch-Runner Juan Perez. Runner on first with one out and Sandy Rosario due up.
Giants 2, Dodgers 2 Top 9, 1 OutSep 13 1:24 AM
- Yasiel Puig doubled to left center scored Pinch-runner Dee Gordon. Runner on second with two outs and Carl Crawford due up.
Giants 1, Dodgers 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 13 12:32 AM
- Mark Ellis grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Juan Uribe, A.J. Ellis out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Zack Greinke due up.
Giants 1, Dodgers 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 12 10:47 PM
- Hunter Pence lead-off Home Run (21) to right. Pablo Sandoval due up.
Giants 1, Dodgers 0 Top 2, 0 OutsSep 12 10:32 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 12 10:11 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22