Giants edge Mets behind Bumgarner gemSep 19, 2013 - 11:39 PM Flushing, NY (Sports Network) - Madison Bumgarner struck out 10 over seven strong innings to lead the San Francisco Giants over the New York Mets, 2-1, in the finale of a three-game set at Citi Field.
Bumgarner (13-9) allowed just one run on four hits while walking three to help the Giants win two of three from the Mets. The lefty has now won two straight starts, allowing three runs on nine hits and striking out 16 in 13 innings over that span.
"I felt like the command of all the pitches was pretty good," Bumgarner said. "They happened to hit the ball at a lot of our guys when they hit it so it worked out in our favor."
Juan Perez went 3-for-3 with and RBI for San Francisco, which has won five of six and improved to 5-2 on a 10-game road trip that ends with three games against the Yankees starting Friday.
Daniel Murphy drove in the lone run for the Mets, who ended an 11-game homestand with just three wins.
New York starting pitcher Jon Niese (7-8) suffered the loss, allowing two runs on seven hits in seven innings. The left-hander struck out four and walked two.
"It's a tough one," said Niese. "(Catcher) Travis d'Arnaud and I did a good job of staying on the same page. Unfortunately we came up short."
The Giants jumped ahead in the fourth, scoring a pair of runs. The first came when Perez singled home Hector Sanchez, while the second was courtesy of Ehire Adrianza's groundout that scored Joaquin Arias.
Murphy cut the Mets' deficit in half in the bottom of the frame when he singled home Josh Satin, who led off the frame with a double.
Javier Lopez worked the final two outs to pick up his first save of the season.
Tony Abreu had two hits for the Giants ... New York won the season series from the Giants, 4-2.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 2
NEW YORK: 1
Sep 19 3:50 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Anthony Recker struck out swinging to end the game.
Sep 19 3:47 PM
- Daniel Murphy singled to center scored Josh Satin. Runner on first with none out and Andrew Brown due up.
Giants 2, Mets 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsSep 19 2:10 PM
- Ehire Adrianza grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Joaquin Arias, Juan Perez out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Madison Bumgarner due up.
Giants 2, Mets 0 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 19 2:03 PM
- Juan Perez singled to right center scored Hector Sanchez. On the play, Joaquin Arias advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Ehire Adrianza due up.
Giants 1, Mets 0 Top 4, 1 OutSep 19 2:01 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 19 1:11 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22