Rockies use long ball, down DiamondbacksSep 21, 2013 - 6:44 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Charlie Blackmon broke a tie game in the sixth and was one of four Rockies to homer in Colorado's 9-4 win over the Arizona Diamondbacks on Friday.
Chris Dickerson also went deep in the sixth, providing a two-run shot, while Troy Tulowitzki brought in a pair an inning later with a blast that broke the game open.
Even Jhoulys Chacin (14-9) got in on the action, stroking the first home run on his career to put the Rockies on the board. He was a bit erratic on the mound -- walking five batters -- but yielded just two runs on six hits.
"He was able to execute pitches to get out of jams," said Rockies manager Walt Weiss.
Tony Sipp (3-2) failed Arizona starter Randall Delgado, unable to record an out in the sixth while allowing a pair of home runs. Delgado allowed two runs on three hits and two walks over five innings.
"The relievers weren't very effective at all tonight," Gibson said. "You've got to keep the ball down here in Coors Field, and we didn't do a very good job of that."
Arizona was officially eliminated from playoff contention on Friday. It once held a 9 1/2-game NL West lead over the now division champion Los Angeles Dodgers back on June 22.
Arizona had a chance to break the 2-2 deadlock in their portion of the sixth, but pinch-hitter Willie Bloomquist left the bases loaded when he lined out hard to Todd Helton at first. The Rockies then went in front in the bottom half of the frame, with Blackmon's inning-opening home run beginning a four- run burst.
Dickerson then blasted one over the right-center field wall with Josh Rutledge aboard, giving the Rockies a three-run cushion. J.J. Putz took over for Sipp on the mound, but served up three hits -- including Charlie Culberson's RBI base single that put Colorado ahead, 6-2.
Paul Goldschmidt smacked his 35th home run for Arizona in the top of the seventh, but Tulowitzki countered for Colorado in the bottom of the frame with a two-run blast that put the hosts ahead by five.
Ryan Wheeler then supplied an RBI single in the eighth for Colorado. Manny Corpas served up a run-scoring single to Goldschmidt with two away in the ninth before recording the game's final out.
Arizona took the lead two batters into the game. Adam Eaton led off with a triple and A.J. Pollock blasted his eighth home run of the season immediately after to open a 2-0 lead.
Chacin had to deal with runners in scoring position for the next three innings, but didn't allow another run. He had evened the game by third with his two-run homer just clearing the left field wall.
Goldschmidt extended his hitting streak to 10 games. He's homered four times during the stretch ... The Rockies were 5-for-10 with runners in scoring position, while the D'backs were just 2-for-12.
- ARIZONA: 4
Sep 20 11:27 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt single to center scored A.J. Pollock with two outs. Runner on first and Martin Prado due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Rockies 9 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 20 11:23 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Ryan Wheeler single to right scored Nolan Arenado with one out. On the play, Charlie Culberson advances to third. Runners on first and third and Charlie Blackmon due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 9 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 20 11:10 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki two-out, two-run Home Run (24) to center scored Charlie Blackmon. Todd Helton due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 20 10:46 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt two-out, solo Home Run (35) to right. Martin Prado due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Rockies 6 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 20 10:28 PM
- Charlie Culberson single to left scored Todd Helton with two outs. On the play, Jordan Pacheco advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jhoulys Chacin due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Rockies 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 20 10:14 PM
- Corey Dickerson none-out, two-run Home Run (4) to right center scored Josh Rutledge. Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Rockies 5 Bot 6, 0 OutsSep 20 10:02 PM
- Charlie Blackmon lead-off Home Run (5) to right. Josh Rutledge due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Rockies 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsSep 20 9:55 PM
- Jhoulys Chacin one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Charlie Culberson. Charlie Blackmon due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Rockies 2 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 20 9:02 PM
- A.J. Pollock none-out, two-run Home Run (8) to left scored Adam Eaton. Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Rockies 0 Top 1, 0 OutsSep 20 8:14 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 20 8:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Pirates 3B Kang exits with left hand injury after slide May 21