Diamondbacks down Padres in 12 inningsSep 25, 2013 - 6:31 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Didi Gregorius plated the go-ahead run with a triple in the top of the 12th inning, and the Arizona Diamondbacks held on for a 2-1 win over the San Diego Padres in the second test of a four-game series.
Luke Gregerson (6-8) gave up back-to-back extra base hits in the 12th, with Chris Owings reaching with a one-out double before scoring easily on Gregorius's sharp line drive down the right field line.
Paul Goldschmidt homered earlier for Arizona and Josh Collmenter (5-4) picked up the win with a scoreless 11th. Brad Ziegler closed the door in the bottom of the 12th with a 1-2-3 inning to notch his 12th save.
San Diego scored its only run on a wild pitch in the eighth, spoiling a strong outing from Tyson Ross, who pitched eight innings of one-run ball and allowed only three hits.
"I think the talent that everyone's seen with Tyson is starting to show," Padres manager Bud Black said.
Wade Miley tossed a scoreless six innings for Arizona, striking out seven and allowing just four hits and a walk.
With two down and runners at second and third in the eighth, David Hernandez intentionally walked Chase Headley to get to Tommy Medica. Hernandez caught a break when he appeared to hit Medica on the forearm with a pitch, however home plate umpire Alan Porter called it a foul ball on a check swing.
Hernandez didn't take advantage, though, as his next pitch skipped to the backstop and Reymond Fuentes broke from third to arrive just ahead of the tag at the plate to tie the game at 1-1.
The Padres didn't manage a hit over the last four innings, however, and ended 0-for-7 with runners in scoring position.
Ross hadn't allowed a hit since the second inning, but Goldschmidt reached him with two down in the sixth for his National League-leading 36th home run of the season and a 1-0 Arizona lead.
The D'backs played their 78th extra inning of the season, setting a major league record ... It was the 14th extra-inning game for the Padres this season ... Goldschmidt hit his fifth home run in 10 days.
- ARIZONA: 2
SAN DIEGO: 1
Sep 25 1:56 AM
- Didi Gregorius triple to right scored Chris Owings with one out Runner on third and Josh Collmenter due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Padres 1 Top 12, 1 OutSep 25 1:47 AM
- Chase Headley advances to second, Chris Denorfia advances to third and Reymond Fuentes scored on a David Hernandez passed ball with two out. Runners on second and third and Tommy Medica at the plate.
Diamondbacks 1, Padres 1 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 25 12:40 AM
- Paul Goldschmidt two-out, solo Home Run (36) to right. Martin Prado due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Padres 0 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 24 11:39 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 24 10:12 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21