Abreu boosts Giants over DodgersSep 26, 2013 - 6:34 AM San Francisco, CA (Sports Network) - Tony Abreu went 2-for-4 with a double, triple and four RBI to lead the San Francisco Giants past the Los Angeles Dodgers, 6-4, on Wednesday.
Pablo Sandoval added a pair of hits, including a two-run homer, and Buster Posey had two hits and a pair of runs scored for the Giants.
Barry Zito (5-11) allowed two runs -- one earned -- on four hits over five innings in what could be his final appearance with the ballclub.
The Giants have a $7 million buyout or an $18 million club option for 2014 on Zito, whose stint with the Giants has been less than impressive. Zito is 62-80 with a 4.63 ERA in San Francisco since the 2007 season and is 4-11 with a 5.91 ERA in 28 games (24 starts) in 2013.
"I still remember where I was when the contract was finalized and I knew it was going to be a heck of a ride, on the field and off, and it's certainly been that for me," said Zito.
Sergio Romo stranded a runner in the ninth to notch his 37th save of the season.
Matt Kemp went 3-for-4 with two RBI and A.J. Ellis drove in a run for the Dodgers, who fell two games behind the Atlanta Braves for the second seed in the NL Playoffs.
Ricky Nolasco (13-11) was touched for all six runs on eight hits while fanning seven over 5 2/3 innings.
"Ricky's shown us he can throw the ball really well and he can make good pitches," manager Don Mattingly said. "I don't think Ricky has done anything that's going to change our mind."
Abreu's three-run triple gave the Giants a 3-0 lead in the second inning.
The Dodgers came back with a pair of runs in the fourth. With two on and no outs, Kemp laced a double to left field to score Yasiel Puig, and Carl Crawford scored three batters later after Jerry Hairston reached on a fielding error.
Sandoval crushed a two-run homer in the home half to make it 5-2.
Ellis' sac fly in the sixth pulled the Dodgers within two, but Abreu doubled home Hunter Pence in the bottom of the frame to make it 6-3.
Kemp's RBI single in the eighth accounted for the final margin.
Since joining the Giants in 2007, Zito is 62-80 with a 4.63 earned run average ... The Giants were 2-for-7 with RISP ... Sandoval has 14 homers this season ... The Dodgers were 2-for-10 with RISP.
- KingHockeyMan 4 games left in the MLB reg-season left for most teams. The BOSOX should win out & get home-field throughout the playoffs. The BOSOX cannot tie the OAKA's. The OAKA's have a better reg-season vs the BOSOX. BOSOX must win by 1 game over the OAKA's. I still feel the BOSOX will have best reg-season record in the MLB. We'll see that prediction late Sunday 09/29 for sure. PEACE!
Dodgers 4, Giants 6 FinalSep 26 1:20 AM
- LOS ANGELES: 4
SAN FRANCISCO: 6
Sep 26 1:20 AM
- Matt Kemp single to right scored Carl Crawford with one out. Runner on first with one out and Michael Young due up.
Dodgers 4, Giants 6 Top 8, 1 OutSep 26 12:50 AM
- Tony Abreu double to right scored Hunter Pence with two out. Runner on second with two outs and George Kontos due up.
Dodgers 3, Giants 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 26 12:19 AM
- A.J. Ellis sacrifice fly to right scored Matt Kemp with one out. Runner on first with one out and Jerry Hairston due up.
Dodgers 3, Giants 5 Top 6, 1 OutSep 26 12:05 AM
- Pablo Sandoval one-out, two-run Home Run (14) to left scored Buster Posey. Brandon Crawford due up.
Dodgers 2, Giants 5 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 25 11:32 PM
- Brandon Crawford's fielding error scored Carl Crawford with two out. On the play, Matt Kemp advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Skip Schumaker due up.
Dodgers 2, Giants 3 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 25 11:24 PM
- Matt Kemp double to left scored Yasiel Puig with none out. On the play, Carl Crawford advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Michael Young due up.
Dodgers 1, Giants 3 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 25 11:15 PM
- Tony Abreu triple to right scored Buster Posey, Hunter Pence and Pablo Sandoval with one out. Runner on third with one out and Barry Zito due up.
Dodgers 0, Giants 3 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 25 10:48 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 25 10:16 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22