Indians score 19, rout AstrosApr 21, 2013 - 6:42 AM
Mark Reynolds also smashed a three-run shot and drove in four runs for the Indians, who snapped a five-game losing streak. Nick Swisher went 4-for-7 with a pair of RBI, all part of a 22-hit attack. It's the most hits for the Indians since getting 25 against the Yankees on April 18, 2009.
Michael Brantley drove in three runs while Carlos Santana had two RBI, with Santana hitting a solo homer in the victory.
Scott Kazmir, who had not played in the major leagues since April 3, 2011, got the start for the Indians and despite the overwhelming run support was unable to pick up the win. He lasted 3 1/3 innings and allowed six runs on seven hits and three walks.
"Up 10 runs, I guess its just one of those things when its my first time out there just got the best of me. I just wasn't able to pitch my game, I'm the type of guy that likes to pitch off my fastball," Kazmir said.
Ronny Cedeno drove in three runs while Brandon Barnes had a two-run homer and Brandon Laird hit a solo shot for the Astros.
Astros starter Philip Humber (0-4) was rocked, allowing eight runs and registered just one out before being replaced by Dallas Keuchel.
"It has been hard on the bullpen. We haven't exactly held up our end of the bargain this past few weeks or so. We have to do a better job," Humber said.
Swisher doubled in Jason Kipnis as part of the eight-run opening inning. Giambi followed with a two-run double to right-center, plating Asdrubal Cabrera and Swisher. Santana walked, setting up Reynolds' homer to left field. After a double by Lonnie Chisenhall and an infield single by Drew Stubbs, Brantley stroked a two-run double to center, and that ended Humber's night on the mound.
The Indians scored six more runs in the second. Swisher hit a single and later scored on a base hit by Reynolds. Swisher would end the onslaught with a double that brought Kipnis home and the Indians had a 14-0 advantage.
The Astros got on the board in the bottom of the inning. Carlos Pena doubled and advanced to third on a wild pitch by Kazmir. Ronny Cedeno grounded out to shortstop, but was able to bring Pena home. Matt Dominguez was next and he drew a walk prior to Barnes' homer to right..
Santana homered to start the third, but Laird's solo shot came with one out in the bottom of the inning. Cedeno had a two-out, two-RBI single, plating Chris Carter and Pena, both of whom were walked.
Giambi's three-run smash came in the fourth, scoring Mike Aviles and Swisher.
Santana tacked on one more run in the fifth, when he hit a two-out double that brought Aviles home.
Corey Kluber (1-0) shut out the Astros in the final four innings to seal the win.
Reynolds has 17 RBI this season ... Swisher had three doubles ... Giambi was walked twice ... Stubbs was 3-for-4... Every Indians player that started in the lineup recorded a hit ... The Astros recorded three errors ... Cleveland was 11-of-22 with runners in scoring position and left 12 men on base while Houston was 1-for-10 and left eight men on base ... Cabrera left the game in the first inning with a left wrist contusion.
- CLEVELAND: 19
Apr 20 10:55 PM
- Carlos Santana double to right scored Mike Aviles with two outs. On the play, Jason Giambi advances to third. Runners on second and third and Mark Reynolds due up.
Indians 19, Astros 6 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 20 9:33 PM
- Jason Giambi none-out, three-run Home Run (2) to center scored Mike Aviles and Nick Swisher. Carlos Santana due up.
Indians 18, Astros 6 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 20 8:57 PM
- Ronny Cedeno single to left center scored Chris Carter and Carlos Pena with two outs. Runner on first and Matt Dominguez due up.
Indians 15, Astros 6 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 20 8:43 PM
- Brandon Laird one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Chris Carter due up.
Indians 15, Astros 4 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 20 8:34 PM
- Carlos Santana lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Mark Reynolds due up.
Indians 15, Astros 3 Top 3, 0 OutsApr 20 8:22 PM
- Brandon Barnes two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Matt Dominguez. Jose Altuve due up.
Indians 14, Astros 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 20 8:17 PM
- Ronny Cedeno ground out short to first scored Carlos Pena with two outs. None on and Matt Dominguez due up.
Indians 14, Astros 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 20 8:14 PM
- Nick Swisher double to left scored Jason Kipnis with two outs. On the play, Mike Aviles advances to third. Runners on second and third and Jason Giambi due up.
Indians 14, Astros 0 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 20 8:03 PM
- Mike Aviles single to center scored Michael Brantley with two outs. On the play, Jason Kipnis advances to second. Runners on first and second and Nick Swisher due up.
Indians 13, Astros 0 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 20 8:03 PM
- Jason Kipnis grounded into a fielder's choice, pitcher to catcher. On the play, Michael Brantley advances to third and Drew Stubbs scored on Carlos Corporan's throwing error with two outs. Mark Reynolds out at home. Runners on first and third and Mike Aviles due up.
Indians 12, Astros 0 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 20 8:03 PM
- Michael Brantley bases loaded walk scored Carlos Santana with one out. Bases loaded and Jason Kipnis due up.
Indians 11, Astros 0 Top 2, 1 OutApr 20 7:58 PM
- Drew Stubbs single to right scored Jason Giambi with one out. On the play, Mark Reynolds advances to second and Carlos Santana advances to third. Bases loaded and Michael Brantley due up.
Indians 10, Astros 0 Top 2, 1 OutApr 20 7:55 PM
- Mark Reynolds single to center scored Nick Swisher with none out. On the play, Carlos Santana advances to second and Jason Giambi advances to third. Bases loaded and Lonnie Chisenhall due up.
Indians 9, Astros 0 Top 2, 0 OutsApr 20 7:53 PM
- Michael Brantley double to center scored Lonnie Chisenhall and Drew Stubbs with one out. Runner on second and Jason Kipnis due up.
Indians 8, Astros 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 20 7:29 PM
- Mark Reynolds one-out, three-run Home Run (6) to left scored Jason Giambi and Carlos Santana. Lonnie Chisenhall due up.
Indians 6, Astros 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 20 7:24 PM
- Jason Giambi double to right center scored Asdrubal Cabrera and Nick Swisher with one out. Runner on second and Carlos Santana due up.
Indians 3, Astros 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 20 7:19 PM
- Nick Swisher double to center scored Jason Kipnis with one out. On the play, Asdrubal Cabrera advances to third. Runners on second and third and Jason Giambi due up.
Indians 1, Astros 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 20 7:18 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 20 7:11 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21