Red Sox rough up Humber in win over AstrosApr 26, 2013 - 6:26 AM
Jarrod Saltalamacchia drove in two runs, while Mike Carp, Will Middlebrooks and Dustin Pedroia had an RBI apiece for the Red Sox. Starter Clay Buchholz (5-0) had 10 strikeouts and allowed two runs on six hits and two walks in 7 2/3 innings.
Astros starter Philip Humber (0-5) was battered, giving up seven runs on 10 hits and three walks over 4 2/3 innings. Humber was coming off allowing eight runs in just one-third of an inning against the Indians on Saturday.
Boston scored four runs in the first. A single by Pedroia plated Daniel Nava, who drew a walk and advanced to second on a passed ball. After Pedroia stole second, Ortiz hit a liner to right, scoring Pedroia, and reached second on a throwing error by Rick Ankiel. Two batters later, Carp doubled in Ortiz, and Saltalamacchia brought Carp home with a single.
Chris Carter doubled to lead off the second, followed by a single by Fernando Martinez. Matt Dominguez grounded into a double play but Carter was able to reach home.
Jason Castro drove in a run for Houston with a two-out single in the third.
Ortiz homered to leadoff the bottom of the inning.
"It's remarkable the timing that he's displayed, particularly after the layoff that he's had," Boston manager John Farrell said. "I think even guys in the dugout are marveling at what he's been able to do, as far as not only contact but driving the baseball."
Two innings later, Saltalamacchia hit a line drive to center, scoring Ortiz. Middlebrooks followed that with a double to left, plating Carp.
"It's definitely not fun," Astros manager Bo Porter said. "It's hard when you fall behind early in a game against one of the better pitchers in our league. You're on the road, and you're fighting an up hill battle."
Ortiz is 11-for-20 since being activated from the DL on Saturday ... Boston has won eight of its 10 all-time meetings with Houston ... This is the Astros' second time in franchise history that they are playing a series at Fenway Park. The last time was a three-game series on June 13-15, 2003, in which they were swept ... The Red Sox have won all seven of their series- opening contests this season for the first time since 1917.
- HOUSTON: 2
Apr 25 9:35 PM
- Will Middlebrooks doubled to left scored Mike Carp. On the play, Jarrod Saltalamacchia advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Stephen Drew due up.
Astros 2, Red Sox 7 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 25 8:23 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia singled to center scored David Ortiz. On the play, Mike Carp advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Will Middlebrooks due up.
Astros 2, Red Sox 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 25 8:21 PM
- David Ortiz lead-off Home Run (1) to center. Mike Napoli due up.
Astros 2, Red Sox 5 Bot 3, 0 OutsApr 25 7:43 PM
- Jason Castro singled to right scored Marwin Gonzalez. Runner on first with two outs and Carlos Pena due up.
Astros 2, Red Sox 4 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 25 7:36 PM
- Matt Dominguez grounded into a double play, second to first scored Chris Carter. Fernando Martinez out at second. None on with two outs and Rick Ankiel due up.
Astros 1, Red Sox 4 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 25 7:13 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia singled to center scored Mike Carp. Runner on first with two outs and Will Middlebrooks due up.
Astros 0, Red Sox 4 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 25 7:00 PM
- Mike Carp doubled to right scored David Ortiz. Runner on second with two outs and Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Astros 0, Red Sox 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 25 6:59 PM
- David Ortiz singled to right scored Dustin Pedroia and advances to second on Rick Ankiel's throwing error. Runner on second with one out and Mike Napoli due up.
Astros 0, Red Sox 2 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 25 6:53 PM
- Dustin Pedroia singled to center scored Daniel Nava. Runner on first with one out and David Ortiz due up.
Astros 0, Red Sox 1 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 25 6:51 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 25 6:36 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21