Tigers outlast Astros in 14-inning affairMay 3, 2013 - 7:29 AM
Matt Tuiasosopo added a two-run double and Jhonny Peralta also drove in a run during the deciding frame for the Tigers, who have won six of their last seven.
Luke Putkonen (1-0) worked 2 1/3 innings of scoreless relief for the win. He fanned four and gave up just one walk for his first major league victory.
"We got quite a few hits and weren't doing much with them for a while," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said. "But we hung in there. Obviously the pitching staff did a tremendous job."
Jason Castro hit a two-run homer and Carlos Pena added a solo shot for the Astros, who kicked off a season-long 10-game homestand with a defeat in their first extra-inning game of the year.
Dallas Keuchel (0-1) was charged with four runs on seven hits with four walks and as many strikeouts over 4 1/3 relief frames.
Austin Jackson began the inning with a ground-rule double off Keuchel and moved up on a Torii Hunter groundout. Both Miguel Cabrera and Prince Fielder were given free passes to load the bases, but the move backfired when Kelly singled home the lead run.
Jose Cisnero entered but served up a two-run double from Tuiasosopo and a sacrifice fly from Peralta which made it 7-3.
Putkonen completed his outing by fanning Pena with a runner on second to end the game.
Robbie Grossman began the home first with a double and Castro followed two batters later with a two-run shot.
Back-to-back RBI singles from Hunter and Cabrera in the third tied the score, but Pena's one-out solo shot in the home fourth put Houston back on top.
Detroit evened the score in the eighth. Fielder was plunked by Wesley Wright, who came on for Hector Ambriz after he induced a double-play grounder from Cabrera. Victor Martinez followed with a single, and when Astros outfielder Rick Ankiel couldn't field the ball cleanly, Fielder raced home.
Tuiasosopo walked with two down in the 11th and later was thrown out at home attempting to score on a Brayan Pena single.
The Astros fell to 9-7 all-time vs. Detroit with a 5-2 mark in Houston ... Prior to the game, the Tigers recalled Putkonen from Triple-A Toledo, while Houston recalled starter Jordan Lyles and Keuchel from Triple-A Oklahoma City and optioned pitchers Brad Peacock and Rhiner Cruz to OKC ... Lyles lasted five innings, during which he allowed six hits and a pair of runs with six strikeouts ... Detroit starter Rick Porcello worked seven full frames, yielding five hits and three runs while fanning seven.
- DETROIT: 7
May 3 1:00 AM
- Jhonny Peralta sacrifice fly to right scored Don Kelly with two out. On the play, Matt Tuiasosopo advances to third. Runner on third and Brayan Pena due up.
Tigers 7, Astros 3 Top 14, 2 OutsMay 3 12:48 AM
- Matt Tuiasosopo singled to center scoring Miguel Cabrera and Prince Fielder with one out. On the play, Don Kelly advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jhonny Peralta due up.
Tigers 6, Astros 3 Top 14, 1 OutMay 3 12:46 AM
- Don Kelly singled to right scoring Austin Jackson with one out. On the play, Prince Fielder advances to second and Miguel Cabrera advances to third. Bases loaded and Matt Tuiasosopo due up.
Tigers 4, Astros 3 Top 14, 1 OutMay 3 12:42 AM
- Victor Martinez singled to right. On the play Prince Fielder scored on Rick Ankiel's fielding error with two out. Victor Martinez advanced to second on the throw. Runner on second and Andy Dirks due up.
Tigers 3, Astros 3 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 2 10:31 PM
- Carlos Pena one-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Chris Carter due up.
Tigers 2, Astros 3 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 2 9:21 PM
- Miguel Cabrera singled to center scoring Austin Jackson with one out. On the play, Torii Hunter advances to second. Runners on first and second and Prince Fielder due up.
Tigers 2, Astros 2 Top 3, 1 OutMay 2 8:55 PM
- Torii Hunter singled to right scoring Omar Infante with one out. On the play, Austin Jackson advances to second. Runners on first and second and Miguel Cabrera due up.
Tigers 1, Astros 2 Top 3, 1 OutMay 2 8:53 PM
- Jason Castro one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Robbie Grossman. Carlos Pena due up.
Tigers 0, Astros 2 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 2 8:26 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 2 8:11 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21