Avila's HR in 9th boosts Tigers over AstrosMay 4, 2013 - 7:07 AM
Trailing 3-2 entering the ninth, Avila worked a 3-1 count with one away and Don Kelly on first before delivering the decisive blow to right-center field off Jose Veras (0-2).
"It felt amazing," Avila said. "I'm sure my expression on the field said it all. When you're struggling and you do something good on the field, it feels good."
Doug Fister started for Detroit and scattered nine hits and three runs - two earned - in six-plus innings. Drew Smyly (2-0) tossed two perfect innings of relief to earn the win.
Jose Valverde locked the door for his third save in as many opportunities since re-joining the Tigers earlier this season.
Jose Altuve went 3-for-5 with an RBI for the Astros, who dropped their fourth straight game behind Bud Norris, who struck out seven while yielding just two runs in seven innings of work.
"Bud Norris did what a top starter does when his team is light in the bullpen after a 14-inning games," said Astros manager Bo Porter. "He went out there for seven innings and pitched like a top starter and held one of the best offensive teams in our league to two runs."
Trailing 2-0 entering the bottom of the seventh inning, Matt Dominguez led off with a double to left and advanced to third on Rick Ankiel's single. Marwin Gonzalez then reached when Omar Infante muffed a ground ball, and Dominguez came around for Houston's first run.
Robbie Grossman then roped a single to left, plating Ankiel, and Altuve's sharp grounder up the middle went under Fister's glove and ricocheted off second base, giving him enough time to leg out an infield single. Gonzalez trotted home and the Astros had the lead before a single out had been recorded in the inning.
Smyly replaced Fister on the hill and avoided further damage by retiring the next three batters in order.
The Tigers scored one run apiece in the second and fourth innings off Norris. Jhonny Peralta put them on the board with an RBI single to left in the second and Victor Martinez gave them some insurance two innings later with a single of his own, plating Miguel Cabrera.
Prince Fielder went 0-for-1 with three walks ... Houston was 3-for-10 with runners in scoring position and left nine men on base.
- DETROIT: 4
May 3 11:25 PM
- Alex Avila one-out, two-run Home Run (4) to center scored Don Kelly. Omar Infante due up.
Tigers 4, Astros 3 Top 9, 1 OutMay 3 11:07 PM
- Jose Altuve singled to short scored Marwin Gonzalez with none out. On the play, Robbie Grossman advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jason Castro due up.
Tigers 2, Astros 3 Bot 7, 0 OutsMay 3 10:30 PM
- Robbie Grossman singled to left scored Rick Ankiel with none out. On the play, Marwin Gonzalez advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jose Altuve due up.
Tigers 2, Astros 2 Bot 7, 0 OutsMay 3 10:28 PM
- Marwin Gonzalez reached first on Omar Infante's fielding error scored Matt Dominguez with none out. On the play, Rick Ankiel advances to third and Marwin Gonzalez advances to second. Runners on second and third and Robbie Grossman due up.
Tigers 2, Astros 1 Bot 7, 0 OutsMay 3 10:27 PM
- Victor Martinez singled to right scored Miguel Cabrera with one out. Runner on first and Don Kelly due up.
Tigers 2, Astros 0 Top 4, 1 OutMay 3 9:10 PM
- Jhonny Peralta singled to left scored Don Kelly with two outs. Runner on first and Alex Avila due up.
Tigers 1, Astros 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 3 8:39 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 3 8:11 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21