Astros shoot past RockiesMay 30, 2013 - 6:35 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - J.D. Martinez knocked in the go-ahead run in the eighth inning, as Houston used a late charge to take down Colorado, 6-3, in the opener of a two-game interleague set from Coors Field.
Carlos Pena homered and Brandon Barnes added an RBI single in a big ninth inning for the Astros, who have won two of three in this four-game grouping against Colorado.
"The three runs in the ninth were huge in this ballpark. Guys did a great job, " Astros manager Bo Porter said.
Paul Clemens (3-2) tossed 1 2/3 innings of scoreless relief for the win.
Troy Tulowitzki finished with three hits including a pair of solo homers and drove in all three runs for the Rockies, who lost for the fourth time in five games.
"This is a good team who can really put some runs on the boards. It's just not happening right now," Colorado outfielder Carlos Gonzalez said.
Edgmer Escalona (1-2) was charged with the lead run in his 1 1/3 frames.
Ahead by a run in their final turn at the plate, Houston wrapped up the game with a three-run outburst.
Pena began the frame with his fourth homer of the season to make it 4-2 for the visitors, then Trevor Crowe bunted his way on and two batters later pinch- hitter Jimmy Paredes singled to put runners on the corners. Marwin Gonzalez then reached first on his attempted sacrifice to score Crowe, and a Barnes base hit brought in Paredes for a four-run bulge.
Tulowitzki's one-out solo shot was the only Rockies answer in the home ninth.
The Astros got on the board in the second, as Martinez led off with a single, Chris Carter doubled and the former scored on a Matt Dominguez fly to left.
Tulowitzki's homer in the bottom of the fourth tied the game, and his fifth- inning double brought home Jordan Pacheco.
Houston struck back in the sixth, as Barnes reached on an infield hit, Jose Altuve added a single to left and Jason Castro's fly to left brought in Barnes.
The visitors then forged ahead in the eighth. Gonzalez hit a leadoff single against Escalona, was sacrificed to second by Barnes and after Altuve was intentionally walked, Rex Brothers entered the game. He gave up the lead when Martinez laced a pitch to center.
Houston improved to 7-16 on the road ... Astros starter Erik Bedard gave up seven hits and two runs over six innings, while Rockies hurler Tyler Chatwood allowed four hits and a pair of runs while striking out a career-high 10 batters over his six full frames ... Tulowitzki's last multi-homer game occurred on Aug. 27, 2011 against Los Angeles ... Prior to the contest, the Rockies optioned outfielder Charlie Blackmon to Colorado Springs (PCL) and recalled pitcher Rob Scahill from Colorado Springs.
- HOUSTON: 6
May 30 12:12 AM
- Troy Tulowitzki one-out, solo Home Run 2 (12) to right. Michael Cuddyer due up.
Astros 6, Rockies 3 Bot 9, 1 OutMay 30 12:09 AM
- Brandon Barnes single to center scored Jimmy Paredes with two out. Runner on first and Jose Altuve due up.
Astros 6, Rockies 2 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 30 12:00 AM
- Marwin Gonzalez sacrifice bunt to pitcher scored Trevor Crowe with two out. On the play, Jimmy Paredes advances to second. Runner on second and Brandon Barnes due up.
Astros 5, Rockies 2 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 29 11:58 PM
- Carlos Pena lead-off Home Run (4) to right. Trevor Crowe due up.
Astros 4, Rockies 2 Top 9, 0 OutsMay 29 11:46 PM
- J.D. Martinez single to center scored Marwin Gonzalez with two out. On the play, Jose Altuve advances to third. Runners on first and third and Carlos Pena due up.
Astros 3, Rockies 2 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 29 11:20 PM
- Jason Castro sacrifice fly to left scored Brandon Barnes with one out. Runner on first and J.D. Martinez due up.
Astros 2, Rockies 2 Top 6, 1 OutMay 29 10:30 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki double to left scored Jordan Pacheco with two out. Runner on second and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Astros 1, Rockies 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 29 10:17 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki lead-off Home Run (11) to right. Michael Cuddyer due up.
Astros 1, Rockies 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 29 9:46 PM
- Matt Dominguez sacrifice fly to left scored J.D. Martinez with two out. Runner on second and Ronny Cedeno due up.
Astros 1, Rockies 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 29 9:04 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 29 8:43 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21