Carter, Astros down RockiesMay 31, 2013 - 5:41 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Chris Carter smacked a three-run home run in a big sixth inning to lead Houston in a 7-5 win over Colorado on Thursday.
Matt Dominguez hit a solo home run while J.D. Martinez went 4-for-5 with an RBI and a run scored for the Astros, who won three of four over Colorado in a home-and-home four-game series.
Lucas Harrell (4-6) snapped a string of four losing decisions as he gave up four runs -- three earned -- on eight hits over 5 2/3 innings.
"I was just battling the whole game and we had to grind it out," said Harrell. "I just wanted to keep things close and give the guys at the plate a chance to win it."
Yorvit Torrealba went 3-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored while Carlos Gonzalez scored twice for the Rockies, who have dropped five of six overall. Juan Nicasio (4-2) gave up five runs on seven hits over five-plus innings to take the loss.
"When you have a starter that's in trouble you have to put him away or you will lose games," said Colorado manager Walt Weiss. "We didn't do that tonight and it cost us."
Colorado pushed a run across in each of the first three innings, as Michael Cuddyer had an RBI single in the first, Dexter Fowler drove one in with a basehit in the second, and Torrealba made it a 3-0 game with his RBI single in the third.
Houston got one back in the fourth after Carlos Pena grounded into a double play, plating Jason Castro for a 3-1 contest, but the team surged ahead in the big sixth inning.
Jose Altuve led off with a single and Castro followed with a double. Martinez plated the first run with a single and Pena tied the game with an RBI hit.
Wilton Lopez then took over on the mound, and Carter greeted him by clubbing a 3-2 sinker deep over the left field wall for his 10th home run of the season. Dominguez followed with his eighth homer of the year for a 7-3 lead.
The Rockies got one back with two outs in the sixth as Gonzalez's single plated a run and left runners at the corners, but Brad Peacock got Troy Tulowitzki to hit into a fielder's choice to end the frame.
Peacock then worked a 1-2-3 seventh and stranded a man in the eighth.
Wesley Wright gave up a leadoff single to Gonzalez to start the ninth and Houston went to Hector Ambriz, who then gave up a single to Tulowitzki before striking out Cuddyer. Todd Helton's sac fly made it a two-run game, but Ambriz got Nolan Arenado to look at strike three for his first career save.
Colorado went 5-for-11 with runners in scoring position, but left 11 men on base ... Harrell moved to 2-2 in four games against the Rockies ... Nicasio is 0-1 in three games against the Astros ... Houston starts a four-game road series against the Angels on Friday ... Colorado hosts the Dodgers for three games starting Friday.
- HOUSTON: 7
May 31 12:04 AM
- Todd Helton sacrifice fly to left scored Carlos Gonzalez with two out. Runner on first and Nolan Arenado due up.
Astros 7, Rockies 5 Bot 9, 2 OutsMay 31 12:02 AM
- Carlos Gonzalez single to right scored Dexter Fowler with two out. On the play, DJ LeMahieu advances to third. Runners on first and third and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Astros 7, Rockies 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 30 10:58 PM
- Matt Dominguez lead-off Home Run (8) to left. Ronny Cedeno due up.
Astros 7, Rockies 3 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 30 10:40 PM
- Chris Carter none-out, three-run Home Run (10) to left scored J.D. Martinez and Carlos Pena. Matt Dominguez due up.
Astros 6, Rockies 3 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 30 10:39 PM
- Carlos Pena infield single to first scored Jason Castro with none out. On the play, J.D. Martinez advances to second. Runners on first and second and Chris Carter due up.
Astros 3, Rockies 3 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 30 10:34 PM
- J.D. Martinez single to left scored Jose Altuve with none out. On the play, Jason Castro advances to third. Runners on first and third and Carlos Pena due up.
Astros 2, Rockies 3 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 30 10:32 PM
- Carlos Pena grounded into a double play, first to short scored Jason Castro with two out. On the play, J.D. Martinez out at second. None on and Chris Carter due up.
Astros 1, Rockies 3 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 30 9:59 PM
- Yorvit Torrealba single to left scored Todd Helton with one out. On the play, Nolan Arenado advances to second. Runners on first and second and Juan Nicasio due up.
Astros 0, Rockies 3 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 30 9:48 PM
- Dexter Fowler single to right scored Yorvit Torrealba with two out. On the play, Dexter Fowler advances to second on the throw. Runner on second and DJ LeMahieu due up.
Astros 0, Rockies 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 30 9:20 PM
- Michael Cuddyer infield single to second scored Carlos Gonzalez with two out. On the play, Michael Cuddyer advances to second on Jose Altuve's throwing error. On the play, Troy Tulowitzki advances to third. Runners on second and third and Todd Helton due up.
Astros 0, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 30 9:04 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 30 8:43 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21