Keuchel shuts down AngelsJun 1, 2013 - 6:19 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Dallas Keuchel pitched seven strong innings and Jason Castro homered in Houston's 6-3 win over the Angels Friday night.
Keuchel (2-2), who was moved into the rotation May 10, scattered six hits, fanned four and gave up two runs.
Carlos Pena had three hits, drove in a run and scored once for the Astros, who won for the fourth time in five games.
"I tried to stay within myself, when you look at the standings, we're not doing well, but we want to dwell on the positive," said Pena. "We want to play the best baseball we can. I'm pleased with the way we're coming together."
Tommy Hanson (2-2) returned after taking three weeks away from the team to deal with the aftermath of the death of his stepbrother. He was charged with eight hits and five runs -- four earned -- over 6 1/3 frames.
"It was good being out there, but it didn't go the way I wanted it to go," said Hanson. "I felt like I threw a lot of strikes. As a starter, you want to go as long as you can."
Erick Aybar clubbed a solo homer for the Angels, who had split four games with the Dodgers this week.
Ahead by a run, the Astros got three big insurance runs in the seventh inning, two on RBI base hits from Brandon Barnes and Pena. The other score came courtesy of Howie Kendrick's throwing error.
Paul Clemens served up Aybar's homer in the eighth and the Angels put runners at the corners later in the inning. Travis Blackley retired Josh Hamilton on a pop-up to third base to end the threat.
Jose Veras pitched the final inning for his ninth save.
Chris Iannetta had an RBI single and Chris Nelson plated a run on a groundout in the second inning to give the Angels a 2-0 lead.
Castro led off the third with a homer to center. J.D. Martinez singled and Pena doubled before Chris Carter lifted a sacrifice fly to left. Jimmy Paredes singled to right to put runners at the corners again and Matt Dominguez lofted a sacrifice fly to right. Pena scored partly because the throw home was cut off by Hanson, and Iannetta was also near the mound.
The Astros placed pitcher Edgar Gonzalez on the 15-day disabled list and activated pitcher Josh Fields from the 15-day DL ... Houston has won four of the seven meetings this year ... Aybar had two of the Angels' seven hits.
- HOUSTON: 6
LOS ANGELES: 3
Jun 1 1:19 AM
- Erick Aybar one-out, solo Home Run (1) to right. Mike Trout due up.
Astros 6, Angels 3 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 1 12:46 AM
- Carlos Pena single to left scored Jose Altuve with two out. On the play, Jason Castro advances to third. Runners on first and third and Chris Carter due up.
Astros 6, Angels 2 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 1 12:16 AM
- Jason Castro reached first on Howie Kendrick's throwing error scoring Brandon Barnes with one out. On the play, Jose Altuve advances to second. Runners on first and second and J.D. Martinez due up.
Astros 5, Angels 2 Top 7, 1 OutJun 1 12:12 AM
- Brandon Barnes single to left scored Ronny Cedeno with one out. Runner on first and Jose Altuve due up.
Astros 4, Angels 2 Top 7, 1 OutJun 1 12:01 AM
- Matt Dominguez sacrifice fly to right scored Carlos Pena with two out. On the play, Jimmy Paredes advances to third on the throw. Runner on third and Ronny Cedeno due up.
Astros 3, Angels 2 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 31 11:11 PM
- Chris Carter sacrifice fly to left scored J.D. Martinez with one out. Runner on second and Jimmy Paredes due up.
Astros 2, Angels 2 Top 4, 1 OutMay 31 11:05 PM
- Jason Castro lead-off Home Run (7) to center. J.D. Martinez due up.
Astros 1, Angels 2 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 31 11:01 PM
- Chris Nelson grounded out third to first scored Josh Hamilton with two out. On the play, Chris Iannetta advances to third. Runner on third and J.B. Shuck due up.
Astros 0, Angels 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 31 10:44 PM
- Chris Iannetta single to left scored Mark Trumbo with none out. On the play, Josh Hamilton advances to second. Runners on first and second and Brendan Harris due up.
Astros 0, Angels 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsMay 31 10:41 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 31 10:10 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 21