Cardinals rip former rival AstrosJun 26, 2013 - 4:06 AM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Allen Craig put together a 4-for-5 performance which included a two-run home run, three RBI and two runs scored, as St. Louis rocked Houston, 13-5, in the opener of a two-game interleague set.
Matt Carpenter slugged a three-run triple, while both Carlos Beltran and David Freese added two-run shots for the Cardinals, who emphatically put the brakes on a three-game losing skid.
Jake Westbrook (4-2) gave up four runs on as many hits over six solid innings.
Brett Wallace drove in two runs with a triple, Matt Dominguez hit a solo homer and Ronny Cedeno knocked in a late run for the Astros, who have lost five of eight.
Lucas Harrell (5-8) was tagged for seven hits and as many runs, with five strikeouts and four walks in just 3 1/3 frames.
Westbrook held the Astros hitless through the first five innings, until Dominguez started the home sixth with his 11th homer of the season. Brandon Barnes walked, Jose Altuve singled and Wallace's triple brought in both to close the hosts' gap to 9-3. Jason Castro's fly to left scored Wallace and it was a five-run margin.
Matt Adams singled to open up the seventh and Freese launched a two-run shot for an 11-4 St. Louis edge, and in the eighth, a Craig two-run blast expanded the visitors' margin to nine.
Cedeno punctured Edward Mujica with a ninth-inning RBI single, but Michael Blazek got Barnes on a fly to right to end the game.
St. Louis broke open a scoreless game with a seven-run fourth. Beltran started with a double and scored on Craig's single. Matt Holliday and Adams followed with walks, then Jon Jay's base on balls two batters later forced in the second run. Pete Kozma singled and Carpenter then cleared the bases on a triple.
Yadier Molina plated Carpenter with a base hit, forcing Harrell from the mound in favor of Dallas Keuchel, who fanned the next two batters to keep it 7-0.
Beltran's two-run shot boosted the Cards to a nine-run bulge in the sixth.
These former NL Central foes met in Texas for the first time since the Cardinals took two of three from the Astros from Sept. 24-26, 2012 ... St. Louis has won five of its last six road games in Houston ... Prior to the game, the Astros recalled infielders Wallace and Jake Elmore from Triple-A Oklahoma City ... Harrell entered the contest with a 1.73 ERA in four previous June starts ... The Cards finished 5-for-9 with runners in scoring position and stranded six, while the Astros were 2-for-7 with RISP and left four on base.
- ST. LOUIS: 13
Jun 25 11:22 PM
- Ronny Cedeno singled to center scored Marc Krauss with two outs. Runner on first and Matt Dominguez due up.
Cardinals 13, Astros 5 Bot 9, 2 OutsJun 25 11:15 PM
- Allen Craig one-out, two-run Home Run (7) to left scored Tony Cruz. Matt Holliday due up.
Cardinals 13, Astros 4 Top 8, 1 OutJun 25 10:47 PM
- David Freese none-out, two-run Home Run (5) to left scored Matt Adams. Jon Jay due up.
Cardinals 11, Astros 4 Top 7, 0 OutsJun 25 10:25 PM
- Jason Castro sacrifice fly out to left scored Brett Wallace with one out. None on and Chris Carter due up.
Cardinals 9, Astros 4 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 25 10:16 PM
- Brett Wallace tripled to center scored Brandon Barnes and Jose Altuve with none out. Runner on third and Jason Castro due up.
Cardinals 9, Astros 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsJun 25 10:12 PM
- Matt Dominguez lead-off Home Run (11) to left. Brandon Barnes due up.
Cardinals 9, Astros 1 Bot 6, 0 OutsJun 25 10:06 PM
- Carlos Beltran two-out, two-run Home Run (18) to left scored Yadier Molina. Allen Craig due up.
Cardinals 9, Astros 0 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 25 10:00 PM
- Yadier Molina singled to center scored Matt Carpenter with one out. Runner on first and Carlos Beltran due up.
Cardinals 7, Astros 0 Top 4, 1 OutJun 25 9:23 PM
- Matt Carpenter tripled to right scored Matt Adams, Jon Jay and Pete Kozma with one out. Runner on third and Yadier Molina due up.
Cardinals 6, Astros 0 Top 4, 1 OutJun 25 9:17 PM
- Pete Kozma singled to left scored Matt Holliday with one out. On the play, Jon Jay advances to second and Matt Adams advances to third. Bases loaded and Matt Carpenter due up.
Cardinals 3, Astros 0 Top 4, 1 OutJun 25 9:16 PM
- Jon Jay walked. Allen Craig scored on the play. Bases loaded with one out and Pete Kozma due up.
Cardinals 2, Astros 0 Top 4, 1 OutJun 25 9:13 PM
- Allen Craig singled to center scored Carlos Beltran with none out. Runner on first and Matt Holliday due up.
Cardinals 1, Astros 0 Top 4, 0 OutsJun 25 9:02 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 25 8:13 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21