Kendrick, Iannetta power Angels past AstrosJun 30, 2013 - 3:43 AM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Home runs from Howie Kendrick and Chris Iannetta helped power the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim to a 7-2 victory over the Houston Astros on Saturday.
The Angels' offense provided plenty of run support for struggling starter Joe Blanton (2-10), who spun seven solid innings while giving up three hits and two runs. He surrendered two walks and struck out six Houston batters.
Houston starter Jordan Lyles (4-3) hit two batters and gave up four runs in the fourth inning before exiting the game. Lyles had won his previous two starts against the Angles this season.
"The fourth inning I think I just kind of backed off a little bit and started aiming a little bit with the fastball," Lyles admitted of his struggles.
Angels' center fielder Peter Bourjos left the game with a right wrist contusion after getting hit by Lyles. He was later taken for x-rays.
Houston's only runs came on Brett Wallace's first home run of the season -- a two-run blast to left field in the bottom of the seventh inning.
Iannetta extended the lead with a two-run shot to right in the top of the eighth inning to account for the final margin.
Mark Trumbo sparked the Angels' offense with a leadoff single in the fourth. Lyles hit Kendrick with a pitch, then walked Josh Hamilton to load the bases.
Alberto Callaspo hit a two-run single scoring Trumbo and Kendrick. After Iannetta flied out, Lyles hit Bourjos on the right hand to load the bases again. Erick Aybar knocked in Hamilton and Callaspo with a single to right for a 4-0 lead.
Hamilton made two great catches at the right-field wall -- one in the fourth and another in the seventh -- to rob the Astros of two home runs.
"Any time the outfield makes diving plays, makes plays up against the wall or anything like that, it's a huge boost," Blanton said. "It's kind of a stolen out because most of the time those are hits."
Blanton was perfect through three innings until Jose Altuve gave Houston its first hit with a one-out double to left field in the fourth. Altuve advanced to third on a wild pitch, but Houston's offense failed to push him home.
Iannetta's eighth-inning home run was followed by a shut-down inning from reliever Dane De La Rosa, who retired the Astros in order and recorded two strikeouts.
Garrett Richards worked around a one-out single in the ninth to secure the victory.
Blanton earned his first win since May 23 against Kansas City ... The Angels picked up their sixth straight road win ... Houston went 0-for-4 with runners in scoring position and left four runners on base.
- Brett Wallace struck out swinging to end the game.
Jun 29 7:13 PM
- Chris Iannetta two-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left scored Alberto Callaspo. J.B. Shuck due up.
Angels 7, Astros 2 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 29 6:40 PM
- Brett Wallace one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Chris Carter. Matt Dominguez due up.
Angels 5, Astros 2 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 29 6:24 PM
- Howie Kendrick two-out, solo Home Run (9) to right. Josh Hamilton due up.
Angels 5, Astros 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 29 5:44 PM
- Erick Aybar single to right scored Josh Hamilton and Alberto Callaspo with two outs. On the play, Peter Bourjos advances to third, Aybar out at second right to first to short. Runner on third and Mike Trout due up.
Angels 4, Astros 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 29 5:23 PM
- Alberto Callaspo single to center scored Mark Trumbo and Howie Kendrick with none out. On the play, Josh Hamilton advances to second. Runners on first and second and Chris Iannetta due up.
Angels 2, Astros 0 Top 4, 0 OutsJun 29 5:12 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 29 4:11 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 21