Iannetta leads Angels over AstrosSep 15, 2013 - 5:53 AM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Chris Iannetta homered and drove in two runs for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, who defeated the Houston Astros, 6-2, in the second of a three-game set.
Iannetta smacked a high fastball from rookie Brett Oberholtzer out to center field for a solo shot in the top of the third for the Angels, who have won four of their last five games.
Howie Kendrick and Kole Calhoun each brought in a run in the fourth for Angels starter Jered Weaver (10-8), who tossed six innings and surrendered only two runs on six hits with five strikeouts.
Brett Wallace's homer accounted for Houston's only two runs, while Oberholtzer (4-3) was reached for four runs on six hits over six innings. The loss snapped Houston's four-game winning streak.
"You look at his body of work, he did pretty good job of getting the game to the sixth inning," Houston manager Bo Porter said of his starter. "He just didn't look like he had that pinpoint command, that late life that we had seen in a lot of his previous starts."
Following Iannetta's solo homer, the Angels tacked on three runs in the fourth. Mike Trout walked to start off the inning, and Kendrick brought him around after stroking a ball down the third base line for a double. Calhoun hit a double of his own into left field to score Kendrick. A line drive single from Iannetta plated Calhoun.
The Astros got two back in the home half of the fourth. Trevor Crowe walked and moved over to second on a wild pitch before Wallace launched a cutter from Weaver into the right field seats.
"It wasn't necessarily a bad pitch," Weaver said. "Sometimes you've got to tip your cap. He hit a pretty good pitcher's pitch and put it in the stands."
Weaver worked out of a bases loaded jam in the fifth. After two groundouts, Marwin Gonzalez singled out to center. He was moved over to second after Jonathan Villar pushed a bunt down the third base line. Jose Altuve safely reached first after hitting an infield single over to shortstop Erick Aybar. Weaver fanned Crowe to leave the runners stranded.
Angels third baseman Andrew Romine made an over-the-shoulder diving catch in left field to rob Carlos Corporan of a base hit in the bottom of the sixth.
The Angels added another run in the seventh. David Martinez entered the game in relief and immediately gave up a double to Grant Green down the right field line. A sacrifice bunt from Romine moved him to third, and on a passed ball by Corporan, Green came home.
Green hit a one-hopper off the wall in center for his first career triple with no outs in the ninth. He was brought home on a sacrifice fly to center from J.B. Shuck to account for the final score.
Weaver joined Chuck Finley and Nolan Ryan as the only Angels to record at least 10 wins in eight separate seasons ... Calhoun extended his hitting streak to seven games, while Villar has hit in eight straight games ... Houston leads the season series 10-8.
- LOS ANGELES: 6
Sep 14 10:27 PM
- Jonathan Villar struck out swinging to end the game.
Sep 14 10:24 PM
- J.B. Shuck sacrifice fly to center scored Grant Green with one out. Runner on first and Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 6, Astros 2 Top 9, 1 OutSep 14 10:04 PM
- Grant Green scores on a passed ball by Carlos Corporan with one out. None on and J.B. Shuck at the plate.
Angels 5, Astros 2 Top 7, 1 OutSep 14 9:17 PM
- Brett Wallace one-out, two-run Home Run (13) to right scored Trevor Crowe. Matt Dominguez due up.
Angels 4, Astros 2 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 14 8:24 PM
- Chris Iannetta single to left scored Kole Calhoun. Runner on first with one out and Grant Green due up.
Angels 4, Astros 0 Top 4, 1 OutSep 14 8:12 PM
- Kole Calhoun double to center scored Howie Kendrick. Runner on second with one out and Chris Iannetta due up.
Angels 3, Astros 0 Top 4, 1 OutSep 14 8:09 PM
- Howie Kendrick double to left scored Mike Trout. Runner on second with one out and Kole Calhoun due up.
Angels 2, Astros 0 Top 4, 1 OutSep 14 8:07 PM
- Chris Iannetta lead-off Home Run (11) to left. Grant Green due up.
Angels 1, Astros 0 Top 3, 0 OutsSep 14 7:43 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 14 7:11 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 21