Gee and Mets take down TwinsAug 20, 2013 - 12:57 AM Minneapolis, MN (Sports Network) - Dillon Gee tossed 7 2/3 innings in the New York Mets' 6-1 win over the Minnesota Twins in a make-up Monday matinee.
Gee (9-8) struck out nine and surrendered just six hits and an unearned run along with a walk for the Mets, who had dropped five of their last seven games coming in.
"He was staying aggressive. His curveball was there, his slider was there, every single pitch," Mets rookie catcher Travis d'Arnaud said. "He was locating his fastball. He did an outstanding job."
Marlon Byrd was one of seven Mets to tally a pair of hits. He smacked a solo homer and scored twice in the triumph. Eric Young, Daniel Murphy, Andrew Brown, Wilmer Flores, Juan Lagares and Omar Quintanilla also registered two hits apiece.
Kyle Gibson (2-4) allowed four runs on 10 hits and two walks over 3 2/3 innings for Minnesota, which has lost four consecutive contests.
After 10 major league starts, Gibson was optioned back to Triple-A Rochester following the game.
"Obviously that's not good enough. There's a lot of stuff I need to work on," Gibson said. "Obviously I didn't take advantage of it like I wanted to. I didn't come up here and have the success I wanted to."
The Mets jumped out to a 4-0 lead after plating a run in the first, another in the second and two more in the third.
Brown had a bases-loaded RBI single in the first, while Young slapped a run- scoring single through the hole on the left side of the infield in the second to make it 2-0.
Quintanilla and Murphy tallied RBI singles in the fourth to give New York its four-run spread.
The teams traded runs in the seventh.
Flores bounced an RBI single through the hole on the right side of the infield in the top of the seventh, while Trevor Plouffe, who ripped a two-out double to right-center in the home seventh, scored when Murphy committed a fielding error on a grounder off the bat of Clete Thomas.
Byrd's solo homer into the second deck in left in the ninth capped the scoring.
Monday's tilt was originally supposed to be the finale of a three-game set played from April 12-14 ... The Mets moved to 10-4 in interleague play ... The Mets were 6-for-12 with runners in scoring position, while Minnesota finished 0-for-10 with RISP.
- NEW YORK: 6
Aug 19 5:05 PM
- Marlon Byrd one-out, solo Home Run (20) to left. Ike Davis due up.
Mets 6, Twins 1 Top 9, 1 OutAug 19 4:54 PM
- Clete Thomas reached first on Daniel Murphy's fielding error to score Trevor Plouffe with two outs. Runner on first and Pedro Florimon due up.
Mets 5, Twins 1 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 19 4:30 PM
- Wilmer Flores single to right scored Marlon Byrd with two outs. On the play, Andrew Brown advances to third. Runners on first and third and Travis d`Arnaud due up.
Mets 5, Twins 0 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 19 4:16 PM
- Daniel Murphy single to center scored Juan Lagares with two outs. On the play, Omar Quintanilla advances to second. Runners on first and second and Marlon Byrd due up.
Mets 4, Twins 0 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 19 3:18 PM
- Omar Quintanilla single to right scored Wilmer Flores with none out. On the play, Juan Lagares advances to second and Travis d`Arnaud advances to third. Bases loaded and Eric Young due up.
Mets 3, Twins 0 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 19 3:13 PM
- Eric Young single to left scored Juan Lagares with one out. On the play, Omar Quintanilla tagged out at third and Eric Young advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Daniel Murphy due up.
Mets 2, Twins 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 19 2:42 PM
- Andrew Brown single to right scored Eric Young with one out. On the play, Ike Davis advances to second and Daniel Murphy advances to third. Bases loaded and Wilmer Flores due up.
Mets 1, Twins 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 19 2:20 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 19 2:11 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22