Byrd's late homer pushes Mets past RockiesJun 28, 2013 - 5:26 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Marlon Byrd gave the Mets a winning end to their extended stay away from the Big Apple with a go-ahead home run in the eighth inning as New York edged the Colorado Rockies, 3-2, at Coors Field.
Byrd cracked a two-run shot off Matt Belisle (4-5) with the Mets trailing 2-1, and another solid bullpen effort completed a successful 7-4 road trip.
New York relievers gave up just two runs in 34 1/3 innings (0.52 ERA) during the trek, and LaTroy Hawkins (3-1) earned the win Thursday with a scoreless frame behind Jeremy Hefner, who allowed just two runs -- one earned -- on five hits over a six-inning start.
Trying to bridge the gap to the ninth, Belisle surrendered a one-out single to Daniel Murphy before Byrd crushed the seventh pitch of his at-bat over the wall in deep left-center to give the Mets a 3-2 lead.
"(Belisle) missed his spot and it came back over the plate," Byrd said. "I just put a good swing on it."
Scott Rice struck out the dangerous Carlos Gonzalez to strand a runner in scoring position in the eighth, and Bobby Parnell closed out the makeup game from April with his 14th save of the season.
Michael Cuddyer was thrown out by Byrd trying to extend a single into a double to open the ninth, spoiling an otherwise special night for the 34-year-old outfielder.
Cuddyer etched his name in the Rockies' record books with a clean, line drive single to center field leading off the second inning for his 24th straight game with at least one hit.
"Any time you can put your name in the record books, it's a good thing," said Cuddyer. "I'd trade it for a win though."
Cuddyer later scored on Todd Helton's sacrifice fly, and it was 2-0 when Wilin Rosario came across on Josh Satin's throwing error later in the frame.
Nolan Arenado had made a terrific barehanded play at third base in the top of the inning, which started a slew of highlight-reel plays behind Tyler Chatwood. Corey Dickerson immediately followed by robbing Zach Lutz of a base hit with a diving grab in center, and Colorado limited the Mets to one run in the fifth despite the visitors putting their first three hitters on base.
Arenado forced out Satin at home with a stop to his left and a pinpoint off- balanced throw to the plate, and after Hefner pushed a run across with a groundout, Gonzalez raced into foul territory and slid near the fence while catching the final out.
Chatwood struck out the final batter he faced, Juan Lagares, to leave the bases loaded in the sixth, but it was his 103rd pitch and he was pulled the next frame having allowed one run on four hits and three walks.
Cuddyer's hitting streak is the longest in the majors this season. He broke Dante Bichette's team record that ran from May 22-June 18, 1995 ... Mets third baseman David Wright did not appear in a game for the first time this season ... Six of Byrd's 12 home runs have come in June ... The Rockies have lost three straight and eight of their last 10 games ... Colorado had won the previous seven games against the Mets.
- Todd Helton grounded out second to pitcher to end the game.
Jun 27 9:06 PM
- Marlon Byrd one-out, two-run Home Run (12) to center scored Daniel Murphy. Josh Satin due up.
Mets 3, Rockies 2 Top 8, 1 OutJun 27 8:31 PM
- Jeremy Hefner grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Zach Lutz. On the play, Anthony Recker out at second and Juan Lagares advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Eric Young due up.
Mets 1, Rockies 2 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 27 7:28 PM
- Nolan Arenado grounded out third to first. On the play, Wilin Rosario advances to home on Josh Satin's throwing error. None on with two outs and Jonathan Herrera due up.
Mets 0, Rockies 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 27 6:45 PM
- Todd Helton sacrifice fly to center scored Michael Cuddyer. Runner on second with one out and Nolan Arenado due up.
Mets 0, Rockies 1 Bot 2, 1 OutJun 27 6:44 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 27 6:12 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21