Balanced attack helps Angels defeat Red SoxJun 9, 2013 - 1:15 AM Boston, MA (Sports Network) - Mike Trout went 3-for-5 with an RBI and two runs scored as the LA Angels of Anaheim took a 9-5 win in the opener of a day/night doubleheader with the Boston Red Sox.
Mark Trumbo drove in two runs as did Erick Aybar, while Howie Kendrick added two hits and two runs scored for the Angels, who had lost five of six coming in.
Tommy Hanson (3-2) benefited from the run support as he gave up two runs on seven hits with four walks and four strikeouts over five innings to pick up his first win since April 19.
Mike Carp went 3-for-5 with a solo home run, two RBI and two runs scored while Stephen Drew also drove in two for the Red Sox, who had won four of five coming in. Felix Doubront (4-3) gave up three runs on six hits over six innings to take the loss.
Friday's series-opener was rained out, prompting Saturday's doubleheader.
Each team wasted a scoring opportunity in the first. Josh Hamilton doubled with one out in the top of the inning, but was left stranded when Albert Pujols lined out to first and Trumbo grounded out. The Red Sox had runners on second and third with one out in the bottom of the frame, but David Ortiz fanned and Mike Napoli grounded to third.
The Angels took a 1-0 lead in the second after Kendrick led off with a single, took second on a grounder to first and scored on a two-out single into left by Aybar.
Trout led off the third with a double high off the Green Monster and Hamilton drew a walk. The runners then pulled off a double steal and Trout scored on Pujols' sacrifice fly to deep center. Hamilton advanced to third on the play and scored when Trumbo grounded out for a 3-0 lead.
Carp led off the fourth with his fifth homer of the year and Jacoby Ellsbury later worked a two-out walk before stealing second. Daniel Nava then laced a single to center to plate Ellsbury to make it a 3-2 game.
The Angels, though, took over in the seventh with Franklin Morales on the mound. With one out, Trout doubled and Pujols was issued a free pass in between Hamilton's fly out to center. Trumbo chased home Trout with a double before walks to Kendrick and Alberto Callaspo forced in a run. Chris Iannetta then drew the fourth walk of the inning to plate another run, and Aybar later singled in another run for a 7-2 lead.
The Angels scored another run on a bases loaded walk to Trout in the ninth, and Hamilton followed with an infield single for a 9-2 advantage.
Boston put together five straight two-out hits in the ninth, with Carp chasing home one and Drew bringing in two with a double to make it a 9-5 game.
Ernesto Frieri, though, struck out Ellsbury to end the game and pick up his 14th save of the season.
There were 26 hits and 13 walks in the game ... Game time was exactly four hours ... Boston batted 4-for-16 with runners in scoring position and left 14 runners on base, while the Angels stranded 12 after going 3-for-19 with RISP ... The Angels took all six games against Boston last season and have won nine straight in the series.
- LOS ANGELES: 9
Jun 8 5:07 PM
- Stephen Drew double to center scored Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Mike Carp. Runner on second with two outs and Jose Iglesias due up.
Angels 9, Red Sox 5 Bot 9, 2 OutsJun 8 5:00 PM
- Mike Carp single to center scored Mike Napoli. On the play, Jarrod Saltalamacchia advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Stephen Drew due up.
Angels 9, Red Sox 3 Bot 9, 2 OutsJun 8 4:58 PM
- Josh Hamilton infield single to second scored Erick Aybar. On the play, Mike Trout advances to second and J.B. Shuck advances to third. Bases loaded with two outs and Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 9, Red Sox 2 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 8 4:47 PM
- Mike Trout walk scored Alberto Callaspo. Bases loaded with two outs and Josh Hamilton due up.
Angels 8, Red Sox 2 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 8 4:45 PM
- Erick Aybar infield single to second scored Howie Kendrick. On the play, Chris Iannetta advances to second and Alberto Callaspo advances to third. Bases loaded with two outs and J.B. Shuck due up.
Angels 7, Red Sox 2 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 8 3:52 PM
- Chris Iannetta walk scored Mark Trumbo. Bases loaded with two outs and Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 6, Red Sox 2 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 8 3:45 PM
- Alberto Callaspo walk scored Albert Pujols. Bases loaded with two outs and Chris Iannetta due up.
Angels 5, Red Sox 2 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 8 3:43 PM
- Mark Trumbo double to right scored Mike Trout. On the play, Albert Pujols advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 4, Red Sox 2 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 8 3:38 PM
- Daniel Nava single to right scored Jacoby Ellsbury. On the play, Daniel Nava advances to second on Josh Hamilton's fielding error. Runner on second with two outs and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Angels 3, Red Sox 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 8 2:40 PM
- Mike Carp lead-off Home Run (5) to right. Stephen Drew due up.
Angels 3, Red Sox 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 8 2:28 PM
- Mark Trumbo ground out short to second to first scored Josh Hamilton. None on with two outs and Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 3, Red Sox 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 8 2:05 PM
- Albert Pujols sacrifice fly to center scored Mike Trout. On the play, Josh Hamilton advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 2, Red Sox 0 Top 3, 1 OutJun 8 2:05 PM
- Erick Aybar single to left scored Howie Kendrick. On the play, Erick Aybar advances to second on the throw. Runner on second with two outs and J.B. Shuck due up.
Angels 1, Red Sox 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 8 1:37 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 8 1:07 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21