Rain cancels "Subway Series" openerMay 17, 2008 - 12:15 AM BRONX, New York (Ticker) -- The "Subway Series" has been derailed, at least for one night.
Friday's first meeting between the New York Mets and New York Yankees was postponed due to rain.
A make-up date has yet to be announced for what was to be the first meeting of the season between the crosstown rivals. The possibility of a day-night doubleheader, with each team hosting a game, when the clubs meet again in June did not bother Yankees captain Derek Jeter.
"A doubleheader is a doubleheader. Whether we play it tomorrow, Sunday or we play them in June, I don't really think it makes a difference," Jeter said. "Going one here, one there, we basically get on the bus to come back here anyway. It actually probably splits it up better."
The rain has delayed Johan Santana's much-anticipated debut in the series. The Mets' ace will start Saturday's game, which is scheduled for 1:05 p.m. EDT.
"I was told that we were just waiting," Santana said. "We were just in a holding pattern and that was just it. I didn't even have a chance to put my uniform on. I was ready to pitch. My mind was set for tonight.
"We'll do the same thing tomorrow. At some point, we're going to play."
Darrell Rasner was the Yankees' scheduled starter Friday, but the team announced Andy Pettitte (3-4) will face Santana on Saturday.
"It's tough because you get all worked up," Rasner said. "You get ready mentally, you get prepared. When that happens, it's kind of a bummer, but it happens. That's part of the gig and that's fine. I'll throw in the bullpen and hopefully help the team."
Santana (4-2) has dominated interleague play in the past, going 16-4 with a 2.27 ERA in 35 games - all with the Minnesota Twins.
The two-time Cy Young Award winner is 3-0 with a 2.66 ERA in eight games against the Yankees - his best ERA against any American League team.
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22