Gordon, Wallace help Pistons beat 76ers 88-81Nov 9, 2009 - 6:31 AM AUBURN HILLS, Mich.(AP) -- Ben Gordon scored 23 points and Ben Wallace added 16 rebounds, helping the Detroit Pistons beat the Philadelphia 76ers 88-81 on Sunday.
Wallace had seven of Detroit's 21 offensive rebounds, and added three blocks and three steals. Charlie Villanueva added 16 points.
Andre Iguodala led Philadelphia with 24 points, but the 76ers couldn't overcome missing their last eight field-goal attempts.
Detroit led 43-37 after a first half that saw both offenses struggle, and only 20 offensive rebounds - 13 of them by the Pistons - allowed the teams to reach 80 combined points. Iguodala had 15 in the half for Philadelphia, while Gordon had 10 for Detroit.
The 76ers tied the game early in the second half, but Gordon and rookie Jonas Jerebko led a surge that put Detroit ahead by as many as nine.
Rodney Stuckey's late jumper put the Pistons ahead 64-59 going into the fourth, but Marreese Speights' put-back dunk gave the 76ers their first lead with 7:22 to play. After Stuckey made a free throw, Iguodala hit a 3-pointer to give Philadelphia a three-point edge.
Wallace helped Detroit's last surge with two blocks and another offensive rebound, and Villanueva's runner gave the Pistons an 81-77 lead with 3:09 left. Philadelphia did not score a field goal for the final 6 minutes.
NOTES: Tayshaun Prince (back) missed his fourth straight game, while Richard Hamilton (ankle) was out for the sixth time in a row. Pistons coach John Kuester does not expect either to return within the next week. ... Speights left the game with 4:50 to play after banging knees with a Pistons player under the basket. ... The Pistons had 19 offensive rebounds in the first three quarters, while the 76ers had only 17 offensive boards for the game.
FINAL 1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH TOTAL
--- --- --- --- -----
PHILADELPHIA 19 18 22 22 81
DETROIT 23 20 21 24 88 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: PHI - ANDRE IGUODALA 24, MARREESE SPEIGHTS 15,
WILLIE GREEN 13
DET - BEN GORDON 23, CHARLIE VILLANUEVA 16,
RODNEY STUCKEY 13
Nov 8 3:30 PM
DETROIT 64 END, 3RD QTR
Nov 8 2:51 PM
DETROIT 43 HALFTIME
Nov 8 2:09 PM
DETROIT 23 END, 1ST QTR
Nov 8 1:38 PM
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- 76ers win NBA draft lottery, Lakers stay at No. 2, keep pick May 17
- Mutombo rejects lottery conspiracy after Twitter mistake May 17
- The Philadelphia 76ers win lottery; have No. 1 pick in upcoming NBA draft May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- 76ers 1st NBA team to land jersey sponsorship with StubHub May 16
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- 76ers add 2 executives to front office, promote key exec May 5
- No longer rebuilding, Pistons hope to improve in offseason Apr 28
- Emerging trend: Coaches given president's title in NBA Apr 27
- Owners of Pistons, Cavs trying to bring MLS to Detroit Apr 26