Pierce scores 25 to lead Celtics over NetsOct 11, 2009 - 8:21 PM BOSTON(AP) -- Paul Pierce scored 25 points and Kevin Garnett backed up claims that his knee is just fine, adding 12 points and six rebounds in the Boston Celtics' 100-93 victory over the New Jersey Nets on Sunday
Garnett, who missed much of last season with a strained right knee, looked comfortable as he chased loose balls and drove to the basket early. He matched his preseason average of eight points with 3:18 to spare in the first quarter, and wound up playing 21 minutes.
Brook Lopez led the Nets with 21 points, and Yi Jianlin added 20 points and eight rebounds.
The teams traded the lead 10 times and combined for 26 fouls, but Boston opened a 13-point lead in the second half on strong shooting by Pierce and clutch 3-pointers by Eddie House.
The Nets pulled within three points in the closing seconds of the game, but Michael Sweetney made two free throws with 24 seconds left to seal the win.
The Celtics' Rasheed Wallace, still in his first week with the team, managed only four points on 1-for-6 shooting. That didn't discourage the Boston faithful, who shouted louder each time he entered the game than they did for each update on the Boston Red Sox, who were leading the Los Angeles Angels 6-4 at the final buzzer.
The Red Sox ended up losing 7-6 and were eliminated from the postseason.
Substitute referees filling in during a lockout of the regular officials blew their whistles often, calling 56 personal fouls, including one on Yi just 2 seconds into the game.
Lopez led his team with 13 first-half points, but he earned his fifth personal foul - a loose-ball call that riled the Nets' bench - with 9:16 remaining in the third quarter. He spent much of the second half on the bench.
The Celtics and Nets meet again Tuesday in New Jersey.
FINAL 1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH TOTAL
--- --- --- --- -----
NEW JERSEY 23 23 25 22 93
BOSTON 22 25 26 27 100 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: NJN - BROOK LOPEZ 21, BROOK LOPEZ 21, TWO
PLAYERS WITH 20
BOS - PAUL PIERCE 25, PAUL PIERCE 25, TWO
PLAYERS WITH 13
Oct 11 3:37 PM
NEW JERSEY 71
BOSTON 73 END, 3RD QTR
Oct 11 2:59 PM
NEW JERSEY 46
BOSTON 47 HALFTIME
Oct 11 2:14 PM
NEW JERSEY 23
BOSTON 22 END, 1ST QTR
Oct 11 1:40 PM
- NBA draft returning to Brooklyn's Barclays Center May 18
- Celtics' Olynyk undergoes successful shoulder surgery May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- After long overseas career, Nets coach Atkinson back in NY May 16
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- Love's Return: Cavs' big man thriving in second postseason May 11
- Celtics' president Ainge embracing expectation-filled summer May 4
- Optimism high as Celtics enter a likely active offseason Apr 29
- Hawks confident heading into 2nd round rematch with Cavs Apr 29
- Hawks overwhelm Celtics, move to 2nd round with 104-92 win Apr 29
- Hawks, Celtics alone on playoff stage in close out game Apr 28
- Stevens: Celtics' Thomas on track to play Game 6 vs. Hawks Apr 27