Terry's hot 3rd quarter leads MavericksOct 16, 2009 - 3:27 AM DALLAS(AP) -- Jason Terry scored 10 of his 21 points during a decisive third-quarter run, and the Dallas Mavericks went on to a 113-88 preseason victory over the Detroit Pistons on Thursday night.
Drew Gooden added 16 points, Dirk Nowitzki had 15 and Kris Humphries contributed 14 points and nine rebounds for the Mavericks (3-1).
Rodney Stuckey had 20 points and Kwame Brown added 11 for the Pistons (3-2).
Dallas opened the third quarter with a 15-3 run that included two 3-pointers from Terry and gave it a 71-53 lead.
Terry finished 8 of 10 from the field, including 4 of 5 from 3-point range.
The Mavericks were in front 92-73 entering the fourth quarter.
Stuckey had 17 points in the first half, but the Mavericks led 56-50 after shooting 54 percent from the field.
The Mavericks remain without projected starters Josh Howard and Shawn Marion. Howard is recovering from offseason surgery on his left ankle, while Marion is sidelined with a recurring right calf strain.
Howard has started scrimmaging with the goal of playing in at least one of the final preseason games. Marion is day-to-day.
Tim Thomas, expected to be a key reserve for the Mavericks, is also out as he heals from right knee surgery.
Dallas coach Rick Carlisle said planning for the regular season without Howard and Marion is a challenge.
"They're going to have to catch up," he said. "Those guys have got to get some reps. But we'll figure it out."
Charlie Villaneuva (left hamstring) and Tayshaun Prince (right toe) were out for the Pistons, and Ben Wallace was given the night off by coach John Kuester.
DALLAS 113 FINAL
Oct 15 11:08 PM
DALLAS 92 END, 3RD QTR
Oct 15 10:30 PM
DALLAS 56 HALFTIME
Oct 15 9:40 PM
DALLAS 25 END, 1ST QTR
Oct 15 9:09 PM
- The Latest: Cuban: Sure, he'd run with Clinton or Trump May 22
- Mark Cuban tells 'Meet The Press' Thunder are his title pick May 22
- Point man: Irving shines in Cavs' demolition of Raptors May 18
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Mavericks guard Harris has surgeries on left toe, thumb May 10
- No longer rebuilding, Pistons hope to improve in offseason Apr 28
- Emerging trend: Coaches given president's title in NBA Apr 27
- Owners of Pistons, Cavs trying to bring MLS to Detroit Apr 26
- Nowitzki not retiring, all but certain to return to Mavs Apr 26
- Westbrook leads Thunder past Mavericks; OKC wins series 4-1 Apr 26
- Thunder use balance to advance past Mavericks Apr 26
- NBA Playoff Capsules Apr 26