Bynum's early effort leads Lakers over KingsOct 16, 2009 - 6:05 AM LAS VEGAS(AP) -- Andrew Bynum scored 20 of his 24 points in the first half to lead the Los Angeles Lakers to a 98-92 preseason victory over the Sacramento Kings on Thursday night.
Kobe Bryant had 18 points, four rebounds, four assists and four steals for the Lakers (2-1). Bryant was 6 of 16 from the field for Los Angeles, which led 85-63 in the third quarter only to see the Kings close within 95-92 with 1:48 left in the game.
Bynum, who scored a field goal on the Lakers' next trip for a seven-point lead, finished 7 of 13 from the field and 10 of 12 from the free-throw line. He scored 16 points in the first quarter on 5-of-8 shooting and is averaging 22.5 points in the preseason.
Jason Thompson led Sacramento (0-3) with 19 points and 14 rebounds. Spencer Hawes added 18 points and nine rebounds for the Kings, whose other losses were to Portland. Tyreke Evans and Andres Nocioni each added 13 points.
Pau Gasol of the Lakers made the trip, but didn't dress. He felt a twinge in his sore hamstring and did not practice Wednesday.
After the Lakers took a 22-point lead and benched their starters, the Kings went on a 17-2 run.
Los Angeles was coming off a disappointing 110-91 loss to Golden State on Saturday in Inglewood, Calif. There was a team meeting after that game.
There were 12 lead changes and eight ties in the first quarter before the Lakers took a 24-22 lead with one minute left in the quarter on two free throws by Bynum. The Lakers, who never trailed after that, made all 12 free throws in the first quarter.
NOTES: This was the fifth straight year the Kings and Lakers met at the Thomas & Mack during preseason. This is the 11th straight season the Lakers have played a preseason game in Las Vegas. ... Kings swingman Francisco Garcia did not make the trip. He underwent surgery on Oct. 10 to repair a broken radius in his right forearm and ligament damage to his wrist.
LA LAKERS 98 FINAL
Oct 16 12:31 AM
LA LAKERS 85 END, 3RD QTR
Oct 16 12:02 AM
LA LAKERS 63 HALFTIME
Oct 15 11:14 PM
LA LAKERS 28 END, 1ST QTR
Oct 15 10:41 PM
- NBA's 6-city tour lets US catch up in 3-on-3 basketball May 21
- Entering Hollywood, Kobe Bryant gets advice from Spielberg May 20
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- 76ers win NBA draft lottery, Lakers stay at No. 2, keep pick May 17
- After lots of losing, 76ers hope to win big in NBA lottery May 17
- Jim McMillian, forward on '72 Lakers title team, dead at 68 May 16
- Clarification: Stars fuel hope for mid-major prospects May 13
- LeBron says Curry deserves MVP, debates meaning of award May 11
- Stephen Curry is first unanimous NBA MVP, takes honor again May 10
- Kings' methodical coaching search ended with Dave Joerger May 10
- Kings hire coach Dave Joerger 2 days after firing in Memphis May 9