Blazers hold off NuggetsNov 19, 2010 - 6:45 AM Portland, OR (Sports Network) - LaMarcus Aldridge scored 24 points and grabbed 10 rebounds, as the Portland Trail Blazers held off the Denver Nuggets, 86-83.
Wesley Matthews added 20 points and 10 boards for the Blazers, who improved to 4-1 at home this season. Andre Miller tallied 16 points and six assists for Portland, which got 14 points and six rebounds from Nicolas Batum.
Carmelo Anthony finished with 18 points and eight rebounds for the Nuggets, who have lost four straight on the road. Al Harrington added 17 points off the bench.
Arron Afflalo scored 16 points and pulled down 11 rebounds in defeat.
Harrington's three-pointer gave the Nuggets a 74-70 edge early in the fourth. Portland, though, responded with a 13-2 run to take the lead. Rudy Fernandez made two three-pointers during the burst that Matthews ended with a jumper for an 83-76 margin with 4 1/2 minutes to play.
Marcus Camby's free throw gave the Blazers an 86-80 lead with 33.9 seconds remaining, but Nene made the finish interesting with a three-point play at the other end.
The Nuggets had a chance to tie the game after Aldridge missed a layup. However, Chauncey Billups missed a long three-pointer and Matthews blocked Afflalo's try from the corner as time expired.
Denver scored the final 17 points of the first quarter to take a 28-16 lead, but the Blazers began the second with an 11-0 stretch. Matthews ended it with three consecutive three-pointers to make it a 28-27 game.
The Nuggets took a 45-43 edge into the locker room, then held a 71-69 lead following an even third quarter.
Denver won three of four against Portland last season, but the Blazers have taken four of the last five in the series at the Rose Garden...The Blazers started a three-game homestand on Thursday...Portland All-Star guard Brandon Roy missed the game with a sore left knee...Camby had five points and 14 rebounds.
- DENVER: 83
Nov 19 1:13 AM
- DENVER: 71
End of Regulation
Nov 19 12:33 AM
- DENVER: 45
Nov 18 11:47 PM
- DENVER: 28
Nov 18 11:15 PM
- DENVER: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Nov 18 10:46 PM
- Klay Thompson has carried Warriors this postseason May 19
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- Blazers coach Terry Stotts agrees to 3-year extension May 16
- Timberwolves' Towns is unanimous Rookie of the Year pick May 16
- Defending champion Warriors expect tough task from Thunder May 16
- Clarification: Stars fuel hope for mid-major prospects May 13
- Damian Lillard and Trail Blazers look to bright future May 12
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- MVP Curry and his Warriors teammates move closer to goal May 12
- Splash Brothers Curry, Thompson send Warriors to West finals May 12
- Trail Blazers-Warriors Preview May 11
- Warriors look to clinch, Heat-Raptors face pivotal Game 5 May 11