Wizards deal blow to Charlotte's playoff hopesApr 4, 2011 - 1:32 AM Charlotte, NC (Sports Network) - Andray Blatche scored 25 points and pulled down 17 rebounds, as the Washington Wizards held off the Charlotte Bobcats, 97-91.
Jordan Crawford added 23 points and five boards for the Wizards, who won just their third road game of the season (3-35).
John Wall returned from a one-game suspension and recorded 18 points, five rebounds and five assists for Washington, which got 15 points and seven boards from JaVale McGee.
Matt Carroll finished with a season-high 26 points off the bench for the Bobcats, who are two games behind the Pacers for the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. Indiana lost to New Orleans on Sunday.
"That's a huge loss," Bobcats head coach Paul Silas said. "This was one that was almost a must win."
A tight first half resulted in Washington taking a 48-43 lead into the locker room.
Washington took control of the game with a 19-6 run to start the third quarter. Wall and McGee each tallied six points during the surge, which Blatche capped with a pair of free throws for a 67-49 margin at the midway mark.
Charlotte made things a bit interesting with a push at the end of the period. D.J. Augustin tallied the Bobcats' final nine points of the frame to get them within 11, 76-65.
Carroll came alive in the fourth by scoring the team's first seven points of the stanza.
The Bobcats stayed within striking distance throughout the fourth, and Carroll made a three-pointer with 51.3 seconds left to cut the gap to 96-91.
McGee missed a short jumper to keep Charlotte alive, but D.J. White missed a jumper on the other end.
The Wizards and Bobcats split four meetings this season. Charlotte had won five straight at home over Washington...Charlotte was without guards Stephen Jackson (hamstring) and Shaun Livingston (tailbone) and forwards Eduardo Najera (back) and Tyrus Thomas (knee/ribs)...Washington guard Nick Young (knee) missed the game...Augustin had 21 points and seven assists.
- WASHINGTON: 97
Apr 3 8:22 PM
- WASHINGTON: 76
End of 3rd
Apr 3 7:47 PM
- WASHINGTON: 48
Apr 3 7:05 PM
- WASHINGTON: 22
End of 1st
Apr 3 6:37 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Apr 3 6:11 PM
- Hornets PG Kemba Walker has another surgery on left knee May 9
- Wizards All-Star guard John Wall undergoes knee surgery May 5
- Hornets future unclear with 4 starters becoming free agents May 2
- NBA Playoff Capsules May 1
- Heat roll past Hornets in Game 7, 106-73 May 1
- Game 7's to decide Miami-Charlotte, Toronto-Indiana series Apr 30
- Hornets-Heat Preview Apr 30
- NBA Playoff Capsules Apr 30
- Wade, Heat force Game 7 with 97-90 win over Hornets Apr 29
- Batum 'running on adrenaline' in Game 6 after birth of child Apr 29
- LeBron 'not fond' of NBA's reviews of officiating Apr 29
- Blazers, Hornets can cap comebacks, Raptors also can advance Apr 29