Williams leads Jazz over Trail BlazersOct 12, 2010 - 5:03 AM PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- Kyrylo Fesenko had 18 points on 7-of-10 shooting and grabbed seven rebounds as the Utah Jazz withstood a second-half rally to beat the Portland Trail Blazers 109-100 in a preseason game Monday night.
Deron Williams had 15 points and Al Jefferson added 14 for Utah.
Jefferson scored eight points and Williams had seven in the third quarter, leading the Jazz (2-0) to their second win in five days over the Blazers (1-3).
LaMarcus Aldridge scored 22 points, including going 12 of 14 from the free throw line, in 33 minutes for Portland.
The game was played in Memorial Coliseum, the Blazers' home facility from 1970-94 before the team moved into the Rose Garden.
Utah shot 68 percent from the field in the second half and finished 36 of 71 for the game.
C.J. Miles scored 10 of his 14 points in the second half for the Jazz, who used 15 players in the game.
Wesley Matthews, Portland's leading scorer in two of its first three preseason games, had 16 points. The 6-foot-5 Matthews, a rookie with Utah last season, was signed as a free agent by Portland this summer.
Brandon Roy also had 16 points for the Trail Blazers and Rudy Fernandez added 14.
Neither team's offense had it going during the first half, as Portland made just 13 of 37 field goal attempts, while Utah was 15 of 40.
Utah outscored Portland 8-2 over the final 2:15 of the second quarter to take a 47-38 lead.
The Jazz led by as many as 13 points early in the third quarter but Roy scored 12 points and Aldridge had six as the Blazers were able to get within 76-75 during the first minute of fourth quarter.
Led by Fesenko, Utah was able to rebuild a comfortable lead. Fesenko scored six straight points to put the Jazz in front 88-79. Portland never got closer than seven points the rest of the game.
Portland center Joel Przybilla, who tore his patella tendon last December, returned to practice Sunday but didn't play against Utah.
FINAL 1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH TOTAL
--- --- --- --- -----
UTAH 27 20 29 33 109
PORTLAND 23 15 33 29 100 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: UTH - KYRYLO FESENKO 18, DERON WILLIAMS 15,
TWO PLAYERS WITH 14
POR - LAMARCUS ALDRIDGE 22, WESLEY MATTHEWS
16, BRANDON ROY 16
Oct 12 12:37 AM
PORTLAND 71 END, 3RD QTR
Oct 11 11:57 PM
PORTLAND 38 HALFTIME
Oct 11 11:11 PM
PORTLAND 23 END, 1ST QTR
Oct 11 10:39 PM
- Klay Thompson has carried Warriors this postseason May 19
- Blazers coach Terry Stotts agrees to 3-year extension May 16
- Defending champion Warriors expect tough task from Thunder May 16
- Clarification: Stars fuel hope for mid-major prospects May 13
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- Damian Lillard and Trail Blazers look to bright future May 12
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- New Jazz uniforms include sleeved alternate jersey May 12
- MVP Curry and his Warriors teammates move closer to goal May 12
- Splash Brothers Curry, Thompson send Warriors to West finals May 12
- Trail Blazers-Warriors Preview May 11
- Warriors look to clinch, Heat-Raptors face pivotal Game 5 May 11