Grizzlies rout Thunder to remain unbeatenOct 13, 2010 - 4:11 AM TULSA, Okla. (AP) -- Marc Gasol scored 19 points and the Memphis Grizzlies remained unbeaten in the preseason with a 116-96 victory over the Oklahoma City Thunder on Tuesday night.
The Grizzlies put all five starters in double figures, shot 66 percent from the field and outscored the Thunder 30-12 in the third quarter to put away the game early. They are 4-0 in the preseason for the first time since 2001, their first year in Memphis.
"You could say we want to be like them last year," Grizzlies forward Zach Randolph said of the Thunder. "We're developing players but we want to make the playoffs and improve this year more than we did last year."
Oklahoma City played the second half without All-Star Kevin Durant, who didn't return to the game after taking an elbow in the throat.
"My throat's a little sore," Durant said. "I'll get it checked out tomorrow. I should be all right."
Durant had his worst game in the preseason, scoring just nine points on 4-for-11 shooting. The Thunder were without two of their top post players, Nenad Krstic (right index finger) and Nick Collison (lower leg).
Gasol took advantage, making his first nine shots and handling the defense of mostly Byron Mullens and D.J. White with ease.
"(Gasol) was really aggressive. We went to him early and he got off and he got the rest of the team off," Memphis coach Lionel Hollins said.
James Harden led the Thunder with 23 points.
FINAL 1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH TOTAL
--- --- --- --- -----
MEMPHIS 35 29 30 22 116
OKLAHOMA CITY 22 23 12 39 96 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: MEM - MARC GASOL 19, DARRELL ARTHUR 14,
RUDY GAY 14
OKC - JAMES HARDEN 23, DAEQUAN COOK 16, TWO
PLAYERS WITH 9
Oct 12 10:45 PM
OKLAHOMA CITY 57 END, 3RD QTR
Oct 12 10:07 PM
OKLAHOMA CITY 45 HALFTIME
Oct 12 9:21 PM
END 1ST QTR 1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH TOTAL
--- --- --- --- -----
MEMPHIS 35 35
OKLAHOMA CITY 22 22 END 1ST QTR
HIGH SCORERS AFTER 1ST QUARTER
MEM - MARC GASOL 10, RUDY GAY 6, ACIE LAW 4
OKC - JAMES HARDEN 6, BYRON MULLENS 4, THABO
Oct 12 8:47 PM
- Warriors-Thunder Preview May 23
- Draymond, Westbrook swap barbs over fouls, kicks May 23
- Warriors' Green could face discipline after flagrant foul May 23
- Durant, Westbrook lead Thunder in blowout win over Warriors May 23
- Mark Cuban tells 'Meet The Press' Thunder are his title pick May 22
- Warriors-Thunder Preview May 21
- Warriors' big men must come up big in Game 3 against Thunder May 21
- Donovan, Kerr took very different paths to NBA coaching May 21
- Thunder will try to bounce back after big loss to Warriors May 20
- Column: Savor our version of Magic-Bird - Curry vs LeBron May 20
- Stephen Curry's sore right elbow not limiting him on court May 20
- Zhou Qi's potential could lead to much NBA draft intrigue May 20