Jazz squeak by WarriorsJan 8, 2012 - 6:30 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Gordon Hayward hit the deciding free throw in the closing seconds, giving the Jazz a hard-fought 88-87 victory over the Warriors.
Monta Ellis scored 32 points to lead Golden State, but his turnover down the stretch led to Hayward getting fouled in transition with 11 seconds remaining. Hayward made 1-of-2 from the line.
Ellis dribbled down the clock at the other end and was unable to get by Raja Bell, resulting in a fallaway jumper from the right baseline that clanked off the rim as the final buzzer sounded, sealing Golden State's fifth straight loss.
Hayward finished with 18 points and Al Jefferson added 15 points and eight rebounds for the Jazz, winners of four straight.
Brandon Rush scored 14 points off the Warriors' bench, but committed the critical foul on Hayward after Ellis threw the ball away, the last of 17 turnovers for the hosts.
Ellis made two free throws to yield an 87-85 lead with 2:03 remaining, but missed an open layup the next time down the floor. Klay Thompson was whistled for charging on Golden State's following possession, and Jefferson hit a stepback, game-tying jumper with 33.7 seconds left.
It was one of five ties in the fourth quarter and one of 11 in the contest.
"We've got to make it happen. No one's going to hand deliver us a win, we have to go get it," Warriors head coach Mark Jackson said.
Utah jumped out to an 18-6 lead midway through the opening quarter and led 27-19 heading into the second.
Ellis led the comeback with 10 points in the second stanza, including a running hook shot that tied it at 40 with 3:40 remaining in the half.
Golden State wound up taking a 46-45 lead into the break and a 66-63 advantage into the final period.
Utah improved to 1-3 on the road this season...Derrick Favors totaled 12 points and 10 rebounds for the Jazz, who scored 25 points off Golden State's giveaways...David Lee logged 13 points and 15 rebounds in defeat.
- UTAH: 88
GOLDEN STATE: 87
Jan 8 12:56 AM
- UTAH: 63
GOLDEN STATE: 66
End of 3rd
Jan 8 12:22 AM
- UTAH: 45
GOLDEN STATE: 46
Jan 7 11:38 PM
- UTAH: 27
GOLDEN STATE: 19
End of 1st
Jan 7 11:03 PM
- UTAH: 0
GOLDEN STATE: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Jan 7 10:42 PM
- Warriors-Thunder Preview May 23
- Draymond, Westbrook swap barbs over fouls, kicks May 23
- Warriors' Green could face discipline after flagrant foul May 23
- Durant, Westbrook lead Thunder in blowout win over Warriors May 23
- Warriors-Thunder Preview May 21
- Warriors' big men must come up big in Game 3 against Thunder May 21
- Donovan, Kerr took very different paths to NBA coaching May 21
- Thunder will try to bounce back after big loss to Warriors May 20
- Column: Savor our version of Magic-Bird - Curry vs LeBron May 20
- Stephen Curry's sore right elbow not limiting him on court May 20
- Gary Payton unimpressed by Stephen Curry's unanimous MVP May 20
- Klay Thompson has carried Warriors this postseason May 19