Pacers hang on to beat JazzFeb 8, 2012 - 4:04 AM Indianapolis, IN (Sports Network) - Darren Collison scored a season-high 25 points and added four rebounds as the Indiana Pacers held off the Utah Jazz, 104-99, at Bankers Life Fieldhouse on Tuesday night.
Utah erased a 21-point third quarter deficit, but the Pacers managed to hold on.
Roy Hibbert added a double-double with 17 points and 10 rebounds and Danny Granger scored 12 of his 16 points in the fourth quarter for the Pacers, who improved to 16-0 this season when scoring 90 or more points.
"We moved the ball well, made passes and got other people open. Danny came through in big fashion in the fourth quarter. He picked us up when we really needed it," said Hibbert.
Paul Millsap had a double-double with 18 points and 10 rebounds and Al Jefferson added 16 points for the Jazz, who lost their fourth straight game away from EnergySolutions Arena and fell to 2-7 on the road.
Indiana came out firing in the second half, pushing its lead to 21 points with 8:04 to play in the third quarter. Utah made its move immediately afterward, though, rolling off a 17-4 run to cut the deficit to eight.
"We just started playing," said Millsap of the third quarter comeback. "In the first half we didn't have very good energy. We just weren't in sync in the first half, and against a good team like the Pacers you can't do that."
Utah took its first lead since the first quarter at 85-84 with 7:35 remaining in the fourth, and the teams traded the lead nine more times before a Paul George trey put the Pacers up for good with 3:03 remaining.
Earlier, the teams traded baskets through a fast-paced first quarter, but the Pacers pulled away slightly in the last three minutes on the back of a 13-5 run to lead 27-23 after one.
Indiana utilized that momentum to its advantage in the second quarter, eventually building a 13-point lead with 43 seconds left in the half before settling on a 57-46 halftime edge.
Pacers guard Lance Stephenson left the game in the second quarter with a lower back contusion...It was the only meeting between these teams this season. The Jazz won both meetings in 2010-11 have won nine of the last 11 in the series...The Pacers scored 100 or more points for the fifth time this season, and for the fourth time in six games.
- UTAH: 99
Feb 7 9:23 PM
- UTAH: 77
End of 3rd
Feb 7 8:48 PM
- UTAH: 46
Feb 7 8:05 PM
- UTAH: 23
End of 1st
Feb 7 7:34 PM
- UTAH: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Feb 7 7:12 PM
- Magic formally introduce Frank Vogel as their new coach May 23
- Magic officially announce Frank Vogel as new head coach May 20
- AP Source: Orlando Magic hire Frank Vogel as next coach May 19
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- AP Source: Knicks working to hire Jeff Hornacek as coach May 18
- Nate McMillan takes over as head coach of the Indiana Pacers May 16
- Indiana Pacers promote assistant Nate McMillan to be team's head coach May 16
- Russia bans 24 basketball players in gambling case May 13
- New Jazz uniforms include sleeved alternate jersey May 12
- Utah Jazz extend contract of coach Quin Snyder May 6
- Pacers seeking new voice after parting ways with Frank Vogel May 5
- Indiana Pacers not renewing contract of coach Frank Vogel May 5