Duncan, Spurs down SunsJan 16, 2012 - 5:10 AM
Tony Parker had 17 points and nine assists while DeJuan Blair scored 14 for the Spurs, who improved to 9-0 at home this season.
Marcin Gortat paced the Suns, losers of four straight, with 24 points and 15 boards. Steve Nash added 20 points and 10 assists despite battling a bruised right quadriceps.
The Spurs have struggled to an 0-4 clip on the road this season, but continue to roll at home. On Sunday, they led by as many as 18 in the third before the fading Suns generated a spark.
The 39-year-old Grant Hill, who is himself battling a sore right quad, floated a layup over Duncan to cut the deficit to 10 midway through the quarter.
San Antonio maintained the edge, leading 78-68 after three, and Matt Bonner drained a corner three to make it 84-72 early in the fourth. The Suns countered with five straight, as rookie Markieff Morris hit a trey and Ronnie Price came up with a diving steal and found Shannon Brown for a layup. Price then followed a Blair reverse layup with a three, trimming the Suns' deficit to 86-80 with 8 1/2 minutes to play.
Duncan, though, kept Phoenix at bay, nailing a jumper for an 89-80 lead seconds later and sealing the victory with a 17-footer in the closing minutes.
The last time the Spurs started out a season with at least nine straight wins at the AT&T Center was the 2007-08 campaign, when they started 13-0...The Suns kicked off a five-game road trip on Sunday. They will also visit Chicago, New York, Boston and Dallas on the difficult trek.
- PHOENIX: 91
SAN ANTONIO: 102
Jan 15 11:27 PM
- PHOENIX: 68
SAN ANTONIO: 78
End of 3rd
Jan 15 10:57 PM
- PHOENIX: 42
SAN ANTONIO: 56
Jan 15 10:08 PM
- PHOENIX: 26
SAN ANTONIO: 30
End of 1st
Jan 15 9:34 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
SAN ANTONIO: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Jan 15 9:10 PM
- Thunder will try to bounce back after big loss to Warriors May 20
- Towns, Porzingis unanimously selected to All-Rookie 1st team May 19
- 24 teams set for NBA Summer League in Las Vegas in July May 18
- AP Source: Knicks working to hire Jeff Hornacek as coach May 18
- Cavs 9-0 in these playoffs, and joining rarefied NBA air May 18
- Defending champion Warriors expect tough task from Thunder May 16
- Capsule preview of the Warriors-Thunder West finals May 15
- Durant, Thunder beat Spurs and return to conference finals May 13
- Spurs unsure if Duncan or Ginobili will return May 13
- Thunder beat Spurs, advance to Western Conference finals May 13
- How many times has your team changed coaches in the Pop era? May 12
- Spurs' Duncan competing with Thunder, Father Time May 12